Pretty Indoor Plants That Are Impossible To Kill

No green thumbs necessary, I promise.

176

Do you love plants but hate gardening? Or maybe you love plants but your living situation doesn’t allow for a garden. Or maybe you just want a plant because your friend has plants in her room and they look super cool and now you feel the need to step up your plant game. Whatever your reasons may be, I can assure you that there is a plant out there for you. And I promise -- no green thumbs necessary.

1. Succulents

Succulents come in so many different varieties, which is part of what makes them so much fun. Succulents prefer lots of bright sunlight but can survive under fluorescent lighting as well. They only need to be watered about once a week, but it's important to make sure that they are potted in soil that drains well or they'll get waterlogged.

2. Cactus

Cacti are notoriously hard-to-kill plants. They come in lots of colors, shapes, and sizes. Cacti prefer bright light, but be careful not to give them too much direct sunlight, because they can actually get sunburnt. They only need to be watered once or twice a month. Your cacti might shrivel up a little bit in the cold winter, but that's normal -- they're just cold!

3. Lucky Bamboo

Lucky bamboo is a no-fuss kind of plant. They can grow in rocks (which makes less of a mess than soil). If you choose to plant your bamboo in rocks, make sure there is enough water in the container to cover the roots. Try to use filtered water instead of tap water to avoid harmful chemicals, and change the water every so often if it starts looking cloudy. Bamboo doesn't like direct sunlight, so try to avoid placing it near a window.

4. Air Plants

Meet the air plant: another mess-free plant that doesn't require soil. Their versatility makes them great to decorate with because the possibilities are endless. They prefer indirect sunlight or fluorescent lighting. To water your air plants, spritz them with a spray bottle a few times per week. For optimal results, experts recommend giving them a “bath” about once a month.

5. Aloe Vera

This variety of succulent has long, pointed leaves and is commonly used in medicines (like the after-sun lotion you use when you get sunburnt). Some varieties can grow up to three feet tall, so they're great if you're going for some visual impact. They thrive in bright sunlight and temperatures around 70 degrees, so keep this guy near a window. Aloe prefers dry soil, so you only have to water it about three times a month.

6. Ponytail Palm

These funky dudes will add some cheer to any space! Ironically enough, this “palm” is actually a member of the succulent family, which are known for being low-maintenance plants. It prefers bright light but can survive in low light as well. The ponytail palm only needs to be watered about two or three times a month.

7. Snake Plant

This is one of the most low-maintenance plants you’ll ever find. They can grow in a variety of light conditions and only need to be watered every few weeks when the soil is completely dry. As an added bonus, NASA research has found that snake plants can purify the air in your room by removing toxins like formaldehyde and benzene.

8. Sago Palm

This cute sago palm will put you in a beachy mood. They like bright light, but not direct light, so be careful where you put them in relation to your window. Sago palms like humid environments and moisture, so give them a little water whenever the soil starts to feel dry. Be careful about where you place it if you have pets because they can be poisonous!

9. Rubber Tree

If you’re looking to make a statement, the rubber tree is the plant for you. It can grow up to 8 feet tall! If you don’t have that kind of space to spare, you can trim the stems to keep the tree on the smaller side. They prefer indirect light and are comfortable at normal room temperature. Rubber trees require more water during their “growing season,” from late spring to early fall. For the rest of the year, they only need to be watered about twice a month. Make sure not to let the leaves get too dusty, though -- it prevents the plant from breathing.

10. Fiddle Leaf Fig

The fiddle leaf fig is another one that can get fairly tall, so make sure you have space for it to grow! They need to be watered about once a week or so, whenever the soil starts to feel dry. Fiddle leaf figs like bright light, but not direct sunlight, so make sure they're not right in front of a window.