Winding Down The Year By Rewinding

Winding Down The Year By Rewinding

Here are 10 very cool TV shows I watched this year and highly recommend.

42
Winding Down The Year By Rewinding

Quarantining has definitely left me with much more free time than I am used to, and I utilized this time by turning to an age old comfort: binge watching TV. I'm sure this is something many people can relate to, so I thought I'd share some of the best shows I watched this year. When it comes to television, my taste ranges and I'm interested in watching just about anything. The shows on this list compile several different genres and in my opinion, always guarantee a great watching experience.

Disclaimer: Not every show on this list came out this year, some are older and finished and I only watched it this year!

Bojack Horseman (Netflix)

Bojack Horseman

Vox

This is genuinely one of the greatest animated shows ever made. It handles and addresses social issues very beautifully and is honestly such a thought provoking and hilarious watch. This show destroyed me inside, but in a really good way if that makes sense.

The Undoing (HBO)

Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman in HBO's "The Undoing"

Marie Claire

Nicole Kidman is a real talent. I love a good mystery and this miniseries definitely satiated that need! It's a classic whodunit and the ending left me reeling as you watch everything unravel.

Breaking Bad (AMC)

Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston in AMC's "Breaking Bad"

IMDb

I know I'm super late in watching this as it's regarded as one of the greatest TV shows of all time, and after watching I completely understand why. Seeing Walter's (Bryan Cranston) transformation from a dispirited high school teacher to a criminal mastermind is absolutely wild. Aaron Paul also broke my heart with some of the most raw performances I've ever seen in any TV show ever made.

Community (NBC)

Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Alison Brie, and Donald Glover in NBC's "Community"

Entertainment Weekly

I watched this around the middle of quarantine and god, it was the best form of escapism I ever had. This is hands down, my favorite TV show now. Every line is comedic gold and holds so much wit behind it. This show made me so happy and I seriously recommend it if you need a hilarious sitcom to make you feel good after the trash fire that is 2020.

The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

Anya Taylor Joy in Netflix's "The Queen's Gambit"

The New York Times

The miniseries that took Netflix by storm. Anya Taylor Joy shines in this series as a chess prodigy dealing with drug and alcohol dependency. She's insanely talented and this show even increased public interest in chess!

Normal People (Hulu)

Daisy Edgar Jones and Paul Mescal in Hulu's "Normal People"

Refinery29

All I'm gonna say is that I'm not a very emotional person but this made me feel SO MANY THINGS. It is so beautiful and heart wrenching. Please watch it.

The Newsroom (HBO)

Emily Mortimer and Jeff Daniels in HBO's "The Newsroom"

Vanity Fair

The Newsroom gets a lot of shit and is kind of known for being Aaron Sorkin's weaker pieces of work, but I thought it was pretty good. There are a few questionable scenes and lines but overall I think this was a great political drama and Jeff Daniels is a powerhouse.

Unorthodox (Netflix)

Shira Haas in Netflix's "Unorthodox"

Jewish Boston

This miniseries focuses on a young Jewish woman who leaves a Hasidic community in New York City and runs away to Berlin to discover a life outside her community. It's very intimate and is carried by Shira Haas who got an Emmy nom for her outstanding work.

The Great (Hulu)

Nicholas Hoult and Elle Fanning in Hulu's "The Great"

Deadline

This show is so funny and only occasionally historically accurate. It follows Catherine the Great after she gets married to Peter III of Russia and her attempt to stage a coup and take power. It's extremely satirical and such a great watch. Fanning and Hoult bounce off each other wonderfully.

Lucifer (Netflix)

Tom Ellis in Netflix's "Lucifer"

Hollywood Reporter

Tom Ellis is so attractive, that should be the only reason you need to watch this show. The Devil running a nightclub in LA? That's such a brilliant concept. I loved this so much and can't wait for the final season to come out!

This was a great year for TV watchers worldwide and I hope this gave you some things to add to your watchlist! Happy New Year!