10 Of Best Ways To Avoid The Freshman 15

No one pictures themselves ten or fifteen or twenty pounds heavier, but somehow the extra weight sneaks up on people.

35
https://evolve-mma.com/

The summer before freshman year is full of excitement and wonder at what the next four years has in store for us, but mixed in with all the emotion is a little bit of fear. No one pictures themselves ten or fifteen or twenty pounds heavier, but somehow the extra weight sneaks up on people. That being said, there are ways to avoid the dreaded freshman 15, and here are the top 10 ways.

1. Watch the dining hall junk food

Just because you’re not at home eating your mom’s perfect proportion of protein, vegetables, and starch doesn’t mean you can’t eat healthily. Yes, sometimes the unhealthy food is easier to eat rather than making yourself a salad, but your senior year self will thank you for taking those few extra minutes to make the healthy choice.

2. Start healthy habits early

Spend the summer eating right and working out. That way, the transition into college won’t include the hurdle of figuring out how to keep the weight off and stay in shape.

3. Orange Theory

Orange Theory is a great way to burn 500 plus calories in just under 60 minutes. The workouts are different every time and they keep you interested with friendly competition. Every day is a mix of the treadmill, rower, and weight room so there’s a little bit of something everyone will enjoy and something everyone will hate (cough cough treadmill). Regardless, it’s a fun way to burn off the calories from the night before.

4. Be mindful of the calories you drink

While it’s important to eat before going out, you can easily overdo the calories if you eat a burger and then go have 500 calories worth of drinks. Cut back on the beer and limit the number of times you drink a week, because the calories add up faster than you think.

5. Find a workout buddy

Working out alone, while sometimes necessary, can be boring. It’s easy to tell yourself that twenty minutes on the elliptical is enough when no one is holding you accountable. So, get yourself a friend who loves to workout and hit the gym as often as possible.

6. Run, run, run

My mom always used to tell me that running is the best thing you could do for yourself. I never believed her until I trained for a half marathon. I’ve never felt more confident, in shape, and happy as I did then. Granted, my feet were gross and my shins were splitting, but I never felt better. I ate what I wanted, which wasn’t a lot because I didn’t want to reverse all my hard work.

7. Too much of a good thing is never a good thing

I know everyone hears this from their parents for years, but it’s really true. A few bites of a good thing can be just as satisfying as the whole treat.

8. You’ll feel the same after you eat it as you would if you didn’t eat it, so why eat it?

This is the motto I lived by throughout my whole training regimen and it worked out pretty well for me. It keeps you away from the bad foods and has you snacking on foods that have physical benefits.

9. Drink water

A lot of the times when you think you’re hungry you’re just thirsty, so fill up on water first. It’s a good idea to stay hydrated, anyway. Water is one of the best things you can give to your body.

10. Don’t forget it’s okay to cheat once in a while too

Any normal person would go crazy if they weren’t allowed their favorite mac and cheese or chocolate or cookies once in a while. It’s okay to indulge, it’s just important to keep the portions small and to be in control.