10 of the Best New Years Resolutions to Enter 2019 With

10 Of The Best New Years Resolutions To Enter 2019 With

Who says New Years resolutions have to be a cliche?

184
Photo by Amy Shamblen on Unsplash

To me, New Years resolutions mean more to me than just promising to go to the gym or to cut back on the cocktails. It's a new beginning — the start to a new chapter in the journey called life. So, rather than just sticking with getting swol and being a better student, here are 10 resolutions to make during the New Year that will help make you a better...you!

Caring for your body

Photo by Juliette Leufke on Unsplash

Besides hitting the gym, there are many other ways to care for your physical health. Start with eating more nutrients and keeping your body active! Yoga, Pilates, zumba, and many of these sorts of activities are fun and give an active workout! Love yourself by loving your body, because much like a car, if it doesn't stay well maintained, it can crash!

Make sure to keep up with skin care, annual doctor's visits, and such! Not only will you feel great, but you'll be saving yourself from a future of 'what if's'!

Be proactive on mental health

Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash

New Years resolutions aren't about just looking good — it's about your mental health as well. Make sure to take time out of your day to simply relax. Whether it be meditating, going on a good walk with friends, or just writing in your journal, you will feel more down to earth and soothed. The start of the new year is always stressful, so putting time away for yourself is always the way to go!

Pick up a hobby

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Although the new year is always busy, picking up a new hobby or interest might help you unwind from your hectic schedule! Drawing, gardening, writing, or anything you would really be interested in is critical to both your mental health and downtime. Rather than sitting in front of the TV binge watching the same old TV show, try rock climbing or paint a self-portrait! Even if you're doubtful of your successes, this will allow you to keep your mind busy in a more engaging, fun way!

Pick up a new book

Photo by Fabiola Peñalba on Unsplash

Not into books? Maybe you just never gave them a try! There are so many various and diverse type of readings. If you're a hopeless romantic, try for a romance novel. If you're into movies, maybe picking up the novel version might catch you up on something you missed in the film. Either way, it's great for relaxation, as it captures your mind and passes time fairly quickly. Don't knock it till you try it!

Stop procrastinating

Photo by Mohammad Gh on Unsplash

For college students, this is much easier said than done. Personally, I am the worst kind of procrastinator — I just never learn. However, this would be good way to get into the routine of finishing work first, so that you have time to relax and not be in such a rush. You know the saying — pay now, play later.

Boosting confidence 

Photo by Guilherme Stecanella on Unsplash

As Demi Lovato once said, what's wrong with being confident? Boosting confidence is key to the start of a new year because it'll make you feel good about yourself! Confidence is part of true happiness in yourself and that's what you're looking for in 2019!

Start traveling 

Photo by Mesut Kaya on Unsplash

Let this be the year of travel! Wanderlust is real, and let this be your motivation to see the world and what beauty it holds! Stop going to Disneyland or Vegas, and embrace the world and the diverse cultures it brings.

Save money

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

With that being said, start to save money. Your savings is important to your financial and mental well being, so start a savings, pay off that credit card debt, and spend your money on the important stuff. My boyfriend and I put $20 each paycheck into savings, and we're saving the money for our own apartment. It's a little, but it goes a long way!

Volunteer and give back to the community

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Start giving back to the community this new year by volunteering! Paying it forward doesn't just have to be in the Starbucks line or at a soup kitchen, but rather anywhere that needs it. Not only does it make you feel good and it allows you to help others, but it looks great as a resume booster.

Learn to love yourself

Photo by Raychan on Unsplash

2019 is for you. Don't let exes, ex best friends, or anyone to put you down. Loving yourself is a hard skill to acquire, but it is something needed to help you grow as a person. This is the year to empower yourself, and the rest will be sure to follow.

Do any of these, and you're new year will be golden. Let 2019 be the year of you!