10 American Phrases That Probably Confuse The Rest Of The World A Little

They only get stranger the longer you think about them.

Like any other country, we have slang words and phrases that are probably a bit confusing to anyone from outside the United States.

We have some pretty strange ones, and the more you think about them, the stranger they get. These phrases include but are not limited to:

1. "Bought the farm."

"What, so he moved to the country?" No, he just died and no one was expecting it.

2. "More bang for your buck."

This phrase means "get more for your money" -- could be confusing for those who are unaware that "buck" is a slang word for the American dollar.

3. "Plead the fifth."

As all Americans know, this refers to the fifth amendment of the Constitution: the right to remain silent. Without that context, I could see why a lot of foreigners would be confused by this one.

4. (To give your) "John Hancock."

"...who is John Hancock?" Well, he was -- nevermind, I just mean that I need your signature.

5. "The whole nine yards."

You know, from football? It means to go all out. To do something 100%.

6. "I'll take a raincheck."

No, nowadays it has nothing to do with the weather. Although, fun fact: it originated from the practice of giving ticketholders a pass to a baseball game that had to be rescheduled because of rain.

7. "Spill the beans."

I'm not sure how we got blurting out a secret from this, but here we are.

8. "Quit cold turkey."

In other words, to quit something abruptly. Usually something that is unrelated to lunch meats.

9. "Hop on the bandwagon."

To adopt a mainstream practice or opinion.

10. "Going Dutch."

In a dating scenario, it means that each member of the couple pays for their own meal. Not sure of its affiliation with the Dutch language, though...