New Years Resolutions: Think Big, But Plan Small

Give yourself attainable goals
15

New year, new me!

But is it really? Up until a few years ago, I've always thought of the new year as a fresh start. What I didn't realize was how ridiculous my resolutions were. I wanted to eat better, exercise more, start my day earlier, etc. and things went great, for about a week. I recently realized why my New Year's resolutions were SO hard. I was trying to break habits that I've spent years developing.

The reality is that we come into the new year with big expectations for ourselves and for our futures but soon realize how difficult our resolutions are to achieve, and forget about them. Because of this, I've become a huge advocate of short-term goals. Instead of making a resolution that will take months to achieve, try making a daily short-term goal for yourself. Something that you strive to do every day.

Long-term goals take a long time to see results and the lack of satisfaction you feel eventually forces you to "try again next year." Short-term goals offer immediate satisfaction and therefore are easier to keep up with. For example, instead of making your new years resolution to lose weight, simply tell yourself that you want to go on a 30-minute walk every day. If you can't do it every day, then 4-5 times a week. This gives you a daily goal, instant satisfaction, and before you know it, that short-term goal leads to the weight loss that you wanted all along.

After all, we all have to start somewhere.