8 Reasons Why College Is Superior To High School
Education

8 Reasons College Is, Like, 800 Times Better Than High School

High School was a love or hate time for every human. Some people could not wait to get out and some wanted to stay their whole life in that world.

101
Personal Photo

I dreaded attending high school daily because it was boring and too difficult. Kids were too caught up in being in the popular group and desperate for others attention and they thought they were better than other kids. On the other hand, college is extremely fun because of so many reasons and I think more people would go if they knew that. I took a survey and asked many people if they missed high school and most people said no. Some adults and young people in their twenties said they miss having fewer responsibilities and bills, but most love having their freedom and living on their own. High school always made college seem so much harder, but yet I find it easier and better than high school, and it is nothing like high school warned us about.

1. The Classes

College offers plenty of classes for all different types of majors and even allows plenty of teachers for each class. The website Rate My Professor allows students to look up their school and find a teacher to see how other students have rated them to make sure they are not an extremely hard teacher and that they fit the students learning style, so they can succeed. Some teachers only do the bare minimum when it comes to helping students in high school, but most of my college professors have been great and exceeded my expectations. They are much nicer and open to help inside and outside of class. The professors make the college classes fun and unique and promote group activities and individual work to prepare you for the future.

2. The Food

High school lunch may have been the worst meal most people will say they've ever eaten. The food in college is way better and they have many choices. The food tastes better at community colleges and the universities I have visited and the prices are fair.

3. Use of Technology

Most college teachers do a great job at promoting students use of technology. They allow students to use their phones and laptops in class to take notes, look at PowerPoints, and look up information. Most college work is done online and allows the students to always look at their assignments and get grades way faster because high school teachers were slow at updating grades. Students can access more resources to better their grades and learning experiences as teachers give out websites, videos, and other resources that can only be viewed online and I usually find them helpful. In high school, students were never allowed to use technology in class except on certain days and students have very little resources to use to study for their tests.

4. Shorter Classes and Breaks

High School makes students take about 8 classes a year while college allows as many as a person chooses to handle. The classes are held twice a week for around an hour per class. High school classes are 5 days a week for around an hour for each class. Colleges give long winter and spring breaks, and there are no snow day makeups. High school stats at the same early time daily, while college can start whenever a person pleases since classes go on until 10 at night.

5. Tutoring Center

Colleges have plenty of help on campus in tutoring centers and the libraries to allow students tutoring access to help study for big exams and finish their homework and essays. They have staff members and students that are experts in certain subjects to allow students to get the most help possible to be successful. They have great hours and plenty of staff to help, and there are also areas students can study together all over campus to help one another out.

6. Sports and Clubs

High school sports were not fun for some people and the teams were way too hard to make. Some colleges offer sports as clubs to allow people to play competitively, but anyone can play, and they have plenty of fun. These clubs take away the pressure and commitment that some people do not have due to other activities and allow people who are not super athletic to enjoy themselves playing sports they love. Clubs also can be joined for a variety of different majors to meet people who share common interests to make friends and improve their work ethic. Both of these activities can improve people physically and mentally in many ways.

7. Testing

Testing at college is much easier. Teachers do not put as much on the exams as they did in high school to lower the pressure and allow the students to do well with hard work. They give students more open note tests than high school and allow take-home tests and quizzes. College professors give way more study materials as well. Some tests are taken in class or in the testing center, but they allow the students to know when the tests are at the beginning of the semester and give a whole week to take the exam, so students take them when it works best for them. The high school chooses when a student takes their test and sometimes students can have multiple tests in one day. The tests are still difficult, but they are not as hard to prepare for and there are more time and study materials in college.

8. The People

The people you never thought you would talk to are much nicer in college compared to high school. You also have a variety of students from all over the country going to school with you. I have met some great people and we have a lot of fun in our classes together. The popularity contests end in college and students act more like adults. Most people want to be at college and treat people much better than before. People become much more open-minded, respectful, and mature due to age.

I think more people should give college a chance because I have enjoyed my time so far. College may cost money and take a lot of effort, but I feel it is worth it and not as scary as it seems. The life of college student is fun and exciting because you never know what to expect. The journey is well worth it and not the same boring and difficult education as high school. I look forward to attending college and I feel I will miss it one day, but I will never miss the 4 years of high school that I was forced to endure and still struggle to forget. College has changed my life and I am determined to make the best of it.