Time Management And 10 Other Things College Has Taught Me

College teaches you more than just the essentials for your major.

63
Colleen Finney

College can be an interesting time, a lot can happen in four years. Although it goes by extremely fast, you learn and take in so much. It really is a crazy roller coaster ride filled with many ups and downs. You just have to hold on and enjoy the ride. Not only will these things help you survive college, but I truly believe they are setting us up to be better equipped when we enter the real world and have our first real job. A lot of people say these things are true and will happen in college, but you never fully believe it until you experience it for yourself.

1. Time management is EVERYTHING

time

College is nothing like high school, regardless of what your teachers tell you. The number of assignments you have due in so little time, plus going to class and having a social life can be overwhelming. You have to be able to manage your time well if you want to keep yourself sane.

2. A bad grade is not the end of the world

bad grade

I will admit that I've had some not so great grades here and their. Yeah it sucked and they affected my GPA a little, but they don't define who I am. If you feel you did your best, then don't let it bother you.

3. There's no such thing as a good sleep schedule

tired

With having migraines, sleep is very important for me. I've learned that in college I will always be tired and to sleep when I need it even if I have a million things due. Naps are usually crucial when late-night studying is involved. It's rare that you get a full 8 hours of sleep every night. For instance, it's 5:28 a.m. right now and I'm doing homework.

4. You have to have a social life

social life

This is another one of those things that keeps you sane. You have to be able to put your homework and to-do list to the side once or twice a week. It's important to go do things with your friends and try new things. You can't be cooped up studying all the time.

5. You start to care less about what others think

others opinion

In high school, everyone cares about their imagine and what others think of them. That's usually why we hung out with the people we did, why we wore certain things and had to have the newest name brand things. In college, none of that matters. No one cares how much your shoes were and you're usually too tired to put that much thought into anything anyways.

6. Sometimes going home is the best medicine

home

Whenever I get extremely stressed out about school or I've had a really rough and jam packed week, I just need to go home. It's important to separate yourself from school sometimes and to give yourself a break. I find getting off campus and going to see my family and my friends from home is exactly what I need.

7. You're going to deal with things you've never dealt with before

friends

Whether it's mental health, stress, the loss of a loved one, depression and the list goes on. You're going to go through some things you've never gone through before. It might suck at times, but it will be a great learning experience.

8. You're going to make amazing memories

memories

I do my best to take pictures all the time because I am so grateful for the friends and opportunities I have had at UK and Kent State. I have met some really amazing people and have shared many memories with them along the way. Someday I will reminisce on my days in college and I'll have to pictures to do so.

9. You really figure out what your views and opinions are

opinion

College is such an eye opening experience. Things I've never cared about before or given thought to, I'm intrigued by now. I always want to learn and be educated on topics outside of what I'm learning in class. You really start to see what side your on and how you view things.

10. You will ALWAYS have something to do

busy

There has never been a time when I haven't had homework or something I could be doing. This was hard for me at first because in high school I hardly ever had homework. Even if you are caught up on all of your assignments, I promise you have a test you could be studying for, you can organize your notes or do the laundry that's been sitting in your closet for two weeks. Your to-do list will always be infinite.

11. It's critical to put yourself first

self care

I made this the last point because I think it's the most important one. You have to take care of yourself and put yourself first sometimes. Mental health days and self care days are so vital when you're in college. They make stressful weeks seem not so bad and they give you a break and sometime to focus on you. Sometimes just going outside and taking a breather is much needed.