The Do's And Don'ts Of A Successful New Year Resolution

If you can't stick to your resolutions you are probably not setting ones that are best for you!

19

Happy New Year! Goodbye 2019 and hello 2020! 2019 may not have been the greatest year for you but you know you can turn it around in 2020. "New year, new me" right? Well, I'd hate to break it to you but that just isn't how it works. The new year is a great time to change your own life for the better. However, that change will not happen overnight but can be achieved through hard work and discipline throughout the entire year. There are ways to set yourself up for success and make new year resolutions that are attainable for you.

Do: make sure that the resolution you are setting is what is best for you in this very moment.

Often times people set new years resolutions that would not actually better themselves. Most people will say that they want to lose weight in the new year. However, most of the time the resolution you choose to go through with is not what would better your life. Before making a new year resolution take a moment to reflect on your year and yourself as a person. What have you struggled with recently? Are you happy with where you are? What do you value? Where do you want to see yourself in a year? Take time and look within yourself and find out what it is you lack.

Don't: make your resolution too broad.

New year resolutions will often fall through because they are simply too vague to commit to for a full year. Your resolution may be to lose weight or save money, but how do you plan to do that? Instead, set a goal to pick up a habit or behavior that will ultimately aid you in achieving an even larger goal. For example, set a goal to regularly attend an aerobics class with a friend as an attempt to exercise more or lose weight and become a healthier person. Instead of wanting to save money set a goal to put yourself on a monthly budget and stop making as many unnecessary purchases. You will ultimately be able to achieve your resolution because you gave yourself a new habit or routine that will help you to reach a greater end goal.

Do: anticipate future problems or obstacles.

Let's face it, no one is perfect and sometimes life just happens and it seems practically everything is out of our control. Life tends to throw things at us that can hinder progress or cause you to give up on your resolution completely. For example, you are trying to exercise more but school or work has become increasingly time-consuming or you are trying to save money but your car engine dies and you are out $5,000 for a new one. An essential part of being able to stick with your resolution is understanding that things may go wrong and to be disciplined and prepare themselves to handle anything that comes their way.

Don't: expect perfection.

As previously stated, life is hard and can easily get in the way of you achieving this goal. However, there is only so much preparation you can do to avoid letting it hinder your progress. With that being said you may fail. And guess what? That it completely fine! You need to strive for progression rather than perfection. Failure can lead to success. Learn from your mistake and keep moving forward.

Do: make a plan.

Do not go into the new year without a plan and time frame for your resolution. You are less likely to follow through with your resolution if you don't have a game plan for how to go about doing so. Make a plan with approximate dates in which you will reach milestones (and how to celebrate those milestones because you have certainly earned it). Figure out how you will make time throughout your week to work towards your goal. I suggest making a written plan in a calendar or agenda.

Don't: do it alone.

Once you figure what your resolution is and formulate a plan to accomplish it, communicate these ideas with your friends and family. Undergoing a lifestyle change can be incredibly difficult but can be substantially easier through the support of your loved one. Your friends and family can also help hold you accountable and try to make the adjustment easier for you. For example, if your goal is to lose weight maybe you could bring a group of friends with you to the gym to make it more enjoyable or if you are trying to save money you and your friends could stay in rather than going out all the time. Keep your loved ones updated on your progress so they can cheer you on when you succeed and help pick you up when you fail.

Do: treat yourself.

There is no reason for you to be absolutely miserable on this journey to better yourself. Make sure to treat yourself while not allowing yourself to get off track. Celebrate reaching the milestones you made in your plan by treating yourself and allowing yourself a few days to rest rather than going to the gym, indulging in your favorite dessert, or going out to dinner with your friends. Celebrate your victories!

Don't: give up.

Nobody is perfect and failure is inevitable during this process. However, you cannot allow failure or any slip-ups to discourage you and give up on your resolution. If you consider giving up think back on all you have already accomplished and be proud of your achievements no matter how minuscule.