What It's Like To Be President Of Odyssey At Ou

What It's Like To Be President Of Odyssey At OU

Odyssey is a platform for college students all across the U.S. to write content to get their opinions and voices heard.

99
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmMJP73DJO_/?taken-by=iowastate.odyssey

Before I dive into this article and spill all of my secrets, let me tell you about how I found out about Odyssey. When I was a freshman in college at RSU fall of 2016, my big choir sister Sierra wrote for Odyssey at OU and I decided to join but as a content creator and writer for the RSU community (which didn't even really exist there being such a small school.) So, two semesters later spring of 2017 when I decided to apply for OU, I knew I wanted to transfer schools. RSU wasn't doing it for me and I knew I wanted bigger.

Sierra invited me to join her team after she became the editor in chief (EIC) and I loved writing and I wanted to continue it! My first semester at OU was fall of 2017 and I was still a content creator and eventually she had to step down from being an EIC because she was about to study abroad in Europe, so she was looking for a replacement and I got the position! I loved being an EIC and helping people with their articles and editing them! It was really fun for me and it felt really collaborative, that's what Odyssey is all about.

The spring semester of 2018 I was the EIC for 5 months and then in June, I got offered the president position. It's a new position for every community and I'M LOVING IT SO FAR! So, I've been with Odyssey for about two and a half years now. I learn something new every day and it's so fun for me.

Let me explain what Odyssey is about because I know some people are very skeptical or have no idea. Odyssey is a platform for college students all across the U.S. to write content to get their opinions and voices heard. Every college has a community and you can write pretty much about anything and it's amazing. Odyssey looks great on a résumé and, not to mention, you're joining a community.

Ever since I got the president position in June I've been working on rebuilding the OU community of writers. There's a lot that I do behind the scenes. I keep track of writers articles, the total article count for the community, recruiting new writers, sending out weekly update emails, writing my own articles, running the community Instagram account (@oklahoma.odyssey) and having meetings with my higher up boss Kat at HQ. Kat is amazing! She's so fun and she loves her work and I want to be like that! Then Michael (also at HQ) edits everyone's articles and helps make hit articles. He's super talented at what he does too, and he does a great job!

Odyssey is a lot of work, but it makes me feel important and I feel like my writers look up to me as a person. They know they can come to me no matter what they need. If you're interested in joining Odyssey at OU, select content creator and OU as your community! Click here for the application!