The Freshmen Are Here! And We're Officially Old

15

On Wednesday, the class of 2018 moved onto campus. If you are one of those students, congratulations! You have made the best decision of your life… seriously.

Some of these freshmen may be our siblings, cousins, friends of friends, people from the same town as you, or, for the majority of them, people you have never met.

This new class of about 1800 students is about to become family to everyone on campus. We may want to ignore them, deny the fact that we are getting old and enjoy the year with the friends we’ve made over the past years. Or we can embrace the new soon-to-be nationers because deep down we are all really excited to get some fresh faces on campus.      

As I drove down to campus today to move into my final year living in the 610 area code, I passed what felt like dozens of proud Nova freshmen flaunting their car stickers and driving with their parents on their way to their first day as a college student.  

I remember that excitement and nervousness like it was yesterday. But as much as the seniors don’t want to admit they’re the oldest on campus, and everyone else just wishes they could postpone graduation for as long as possible, there are some nice things to being older.   

For one, you are wiser.   

There’s nothing like the comfort of knowing exactly where everything is on campus and how everything works. Where will the shuttle take you? Can you use a meal in The Exchange? Can I really eat as much as I want?   

All of that knowledge comes from years of experience and the class of 2018 will soon get theirs as time goes on.   

You are more fun, naturally.   

The years help you learn all the great spots. The freshmen have yet to learn the hidden social gems found around campus or the beauty of our backyard that is Philadelphia. In due time they will find their spots. But some of them are reserved for the upperclassmen and we kind of like it that way.   

To state the obvious… you are older.  

So you don’t need a fake and can get in wherever you please. That in itself is an accomplishment.  

You are climbing the branches of the family tree.  

A lot has changed since the eldest member of your Greek family graduated in May.  If you were the youngest, congrats! You’re going to get a little next semester! If you were in between last year you are either the oldest or the second in your family and that means a lot. You need to keep the family together and shamble-free. You aren’t the one asking to be set up anymore but you are setting up the younger members of your fam with dates for functions and that’s a huge deal.   

So, the presence of the newest freshmen is a shocking reminder that we are all getting older. But with that, hopefully we can use our vast amounts of accumulated knowledge to teach the youngins a thing or two and welcome them to our home.   Whether you have 4 years left or 1, sharing this beautiful place called Villanova is something that will bind everyone forever. Yes that is cheesy, but take a second and look around.  Everyone loves this place because it's beautiful and awesome and all ours.   

So here’s to the Class of 2018. I hope your time at Villanova proves to be as amazing as all of the Nationers think it is. Welcome to the best 4 years of your life!