Restaurant Week: Eat your hearts out, Quakers.

11

One of my favorite things about Philadelphia is the array of amazing restaurants in the city. Restaurant Week offers a great opportunity to explore some of the many venues in and just outside of University City. 

Participating restaurants offer three-course dinners for $35, as well as three-course lunches for $20. This year, Restaurant Week is from September 7th until the 12th and from the 14th until the 19th. If you're sick of the questionable meat at Commons or constantly dining on Sweetgreen and Chipotle, go with a couple of friends and taste what some of the best restaurants in Philadelphia have to offer. Here are some of the culinary standouts that every Penn student should go to at least once: 

1. Audrey Claire

Where: 276 S. 20th Street

What: My personal favorite restaurant in all of Philadelphia, Audrey Claire was my first Philly Restaurant Week experience. Since that fateful day, I've probably been to Audrey Claire at least fifteen times and have had everything on their menu once. As a personal hater of all things cheese-related, Audrey Claire is one of the only restaurants in the entire world where I willingly scarf down gorgonzola. The rustic decor, open windows, friendly staff, and open air seating of this BYO New American/Mediterranean restaurant offers a warm and cozy dining experience. You're also free to eat the apples in the bowls on the window sill if you're hungry while waiting for your meal. 

Must-Have Dishes: Bosc Pear Gorgonzola Flatbread, Seared Brussel Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan, Maple Brine Pork Chop with Apple Butter, Shallot Encrusted Lemon Sole, Bread Pudding

2. El Vez

Where: 121 S 13th Street

What: One of Steven Starr's Philadelphia restaurants, this Mexican restaurant is garnished with lively and festive decorations, complete with a gilded mounted motorcycle in the center of the establishment. Fun ambiance aside, El Vez offers delicious and unique (as well as a wide array) of different guacamoles and flavorful entrées. El Vez also has a great brunch selection featuring its AMAZING whipped cream. Bonus: fresh, hot, complementary chips while you wait for your food. 

Must-Have Dishes: Sea Bass Tacos, Spicy Crab Guacamole, Churros, Mexican Hot Chocolate

3. Little Nonna's

Where: 1234 Locust Street

What: Little Nonna's is a quaint Italian restaurant with classic, hearty cuisine in Washington Square West. "Nonna", or grandmother in Italian, sets the mood for what you ought to expect when you walk in. Cozy, small, and equipped with its own clothesline and old china, Little Nonna's takes you to a time when you'd visit grandma for a filling, home-cooked meal... if your grandmother was an expert in cooking Italian food. If there's good weather, try and get a table on the patio for an even prettier view.

Must-Have Dishes: Wild Mushroom Arancini, Sunday Gravy, Hazelnut Cannoli, Pan Seared Potato Gnocchi, Espresso Tiramisu

4. Zahav

Where: 237 St. James Place

What: If you're ever in the mood for Israeli tapas, a cab ride to Zahav is more imperative. Known for its flavorful food and exquisite hummus selection, Zahav is usually pretty pricey, so take advantage of the prix-fixe meal offered in the coming weeks. They're always busy, so either get there early or go late to avoid waiting. Fun fact: the owner of Zahav also owns Federal Donuts.

Must-Have Dishes: Turkish Hummus, Fried Cauliflower, House Smoked Sable, Lamb Shoulder

5. The Dandelion

Where: 124 S 18th Street

What: Another Steven Starr restaurant, the Dandelion offers British cuisine in Rittenhouse Square. Set in a pub-like atmosphere, the Dandelion is for the adventurous and non-adventurous eaters alike with classic dishes like the salmon and shepherd's pie, but also more inventive dishes like the Chicken and Duck Liver Parfait. A must-visit for anyone who wants to cross eating bangers and mash off their bucket list.

Must-Have Dishes: Beer-Battered Fish and Chips, Rabbit Pie, Lemon Basil Gelato, Sticky Toffee Pudding