Kappa-So-Proud

Kappa-So-Proud

The Tau-Gamma chapter of Kappa Sigma has a lot to be proud of.

41
Kappa-So-Proud
Serphos Photography; Daniel Leonardini

The Tau-Gamma chapter of Kappa Sigma at the University of Nevada, Reno entered campus in the Fall of 2013. They were chartered one semester later on April 26, 2014, and the members have achieved beyond what they believed was possible in the two years they’ve been on campus.

Billy Fox, a Founding Father, knew Kappa Sigma had a lot to offer once he became a member. “When people look at all the work we've done here on campus and with our national organization, we've achieved a lot. I think that speaks for Kappa Sig's love for the university and the local community we take part in. I hope that we can continue to be an exceptional, well-liked group of guys for years to come,” said Fox.

Chris Tovar is a Founding Father and will be entering his final year of college this coming school year. Out of his two years of being a member of Kappa Sigma, he has found that there is nothing more important than brotherhood. “Brotherhood means to never quit or give up on each other. One brother struggles we all struggle. One brother succeeds, we all succeed,” said Tovar. “We define what brotherhood means. Being there for your brother at anytime of the day…either early in the morning, late at night, traveling to different towns just to clear your minds…or even having 15 brothers stay overnight in a hospital just to make sure your brother is fine. We're stronger then friendship. We're part of a brotherhood, we're a family.”

Scott Sawamura, a founding father and a recent alumnus, knows Tau-Gamma will strive for the highest of goals possible. “It has been amazing to see how far our chapter has come. From starting with only three guys to growing to over 70 members while winning some of the highest awards Kappa Sigma has to offer in a little less than two years is incredible,” said Sawamura.

“Seeing this chapter grow so quickly has been my greatest source of accomplishment and wonder. To see something move this quickly yet not fall down has been a constant reassurance that we're doing something right,” said Mitchell Martinez, another Founding Father of Tau-Gamma.

Kappa Sigma Conclave 2015 was held at the end of July in Las Vegas, Nevada. In the Grand Master’s (current President) words, Daniel Leonardini, “it can be described as one of the best learning and fun experiences of being a Kappa Sigma.” During Conclave, members get the opportunity to learn how to solve problems that their chapter may be having and learn about great ideas that have done well in other chapters. “It is an opportunity to meet brothers from across the country and to get to know them and hang out with them,” said Leonardini.

Six individuals won awards with one person being awarded two. The chapter as a whole won five awards, two of those awards being the biggest honor that could be awarded to a chapter as new as Tau-Gamma.

Individual Awards

Outstanding Grand Master (President) Award for Jonathan Kenerson

Outstanding Grand Procurator (Vice President) Award for Kenneth Laverty

Outstanding Grand Master of Ceremonies (Second Vice President) Award for Ernest Landrito

Outstanding Grand Scribe (Secretary) Award for Zach Thompson

Outstanding Grand Treasurer Award for Mitchell Reyes

Outstanding Alumnus Advisor Award for Chuck Kenerson

Distinguished Service Commendation Award for Chuck Kenerson

Chapter Awards

Chapter Academic Excellence Award

Champion Chapter Award

“Awarded to chapters reaching the standard of at least 60 members or largest fraternity on campus (minimum 35 members).” –Daniel Leonardini

Founders’ Award of Chapter Excellence (FACE)

“The Founders’ Award of Chapter Excellence (“FACE”) is the benchmark award in Kappa Sigma. The FACE award recognizes outstanding Chapter management, achievement, and program development in all areas of operation.” –Daniel Leonardini

Founders’ Circle Award

“The Kappa Sigma Founders’ Circle Award is the highest award given to Chapters. The Founders’ Circle Award recognizes the Order’s “best of the best” at the undergraduate Chapter level. Founders’ Circle designees succeed in all areas of Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, and Service and set a shining example to which all Chapters should aspire.” –Daniel Leonardini

District of the Year Award

“Presented to the district which by undergraduate and alumni activity has distinguished itself in strength, reputation and Fraternity relations.” –Daniel Leonardini

“These awards are important to us for many reasons. It shows all of the hard work we put into our new chapter and trying to make it the best it can be. Part of the FACE and Founders’ Circle awards has to do with community involvement. Knowing that a lot of the hard work affected peoples’ lives in a positive way makes all of this meaningful,” said Leonardini.

Past Grand Master (past President), Jonathan Kenerson knows the future is looking bright for his beloved chapter and can’t wait to see what values their chapter can add to their university and community to grow. “One of our most historically influential brothers once said, "let us not rest until the Star and Crescent is the pride of every university". Some Kappa Sigma chapters take that to mean beating the competition,” said Kenerson. “In my mind, it means we should be a chapter of men that the Reno community and the University and its organizations are proud to affiliate with. My hope is that our name can be connected to strong character and involvement in the communities we're a part of.”

The Tau Gamma chapter of Kappa Sigma has shown significant growth from the day they first entered campus. The chapter’s participation on campus is fully recognized. Their members are valued. Their values are held the same amongst their members.

To see what Kappa Sigma will be doing on the University of Nevada, Reno is an exciting endeavor. Their goals and successes will leave lasting footprints on the campus.