The Top 10 Things I'll Miss About The Gamecock Student Section

44

These past three years have flown by and I can't believe this is my last football season as a student. We can all agree that watching the Gamecocks play in Willy B is one of the greatest experiences, but I know that nothing compares to watching it with my fellow students. Being in the student section to watch my Gamecocks play on Saturday is going to be one of the biggest things I miss after I graduate in the spring. Here is my top ten list of what makes the student section awesome.

10. The location. I've been to my fair share of away games and I will tell you we have one of the best locations for our student section. Many schools put their students in bad, cheap seats so they can make the most money off of the tickets they can sell. But here at South Carolina, our student section is enormous, spanning more than the entire length of an end zone. We're also right under the big screen so we can see every play up close and personal. 

9. Using Carolina Cash to buy food. Everyone knows that Carolina Cash is like fake money. Being able to pay the obnoxious prices for a slice of Little Caesar's pizza or a bottle of water with fake money makes me feel a little better about feasting during half time. 

8. Free white towels. Seeing the white towels being waved all across the stadium is one of the coolest traditions Willy B has, but nowhere is the sea of white towels denser than in the student section. Being a student, you don't have to buy a towel or remember to bring one for every game. 

7. Sir Big Spur. This real life Gamecock is such a cool part of the experience of watching a game at Willy B. Seeing a real life Gamecock there, and if you're lucky being able to take a picture with the infamous cock, makes the whole game that much better. 

6. Being able to sit with different people. The freedom of the student section allows me to wander between my different friend groups and enjoy the game with various people. When I buy season tickets next year, I hope my fellow fans are great because I'll be stuck with them for the whole season. 

5. Free tickets. The thought of actually having to buy tickets for home games next semester is mind boggling. And what's worse is that tickets aren't cheap! We take it for granted that we are able to get free tickets to all of our games. Other schools like Ohio State University require students to buy season tickets to the Buckeyes' home games. 

4. Sandstorm. Although I celebrate a touchdown by sandstorming with over 80,000 of my closest friends, there is nothing like sandstorming in the student section. Jumping up and down, feeling the bleachers shake beneath you, smacking people with towels because you're packed so close, and all in an intense celebration of the Gamecocks most recent score is an amazing experience. 

3. Go! Fight! Win! Kick A$$! F*** Clemson! Every time we kick off the ball, hearing the students passionately scream this, no matter who we play, brings a smile to my face. Just a reminder to those in the upstate, no matter what point in the season we are, Clemson still sucks and we will still dominate. 

2. Forever to Thee. Win or lose, being able to celebrate the camaraderie of being a student fortunate enough to attend the University of South Carolina with the players who have left everything they had out on the field is a special moment for students. 

1. The intensity. I don't care who you meet, there is no group of people more passionate for their Gamecocks than the students. We are the ones who laugh and hug when we score and then cuss and scream when we fumble. We will fight harder to make that home field advantage a real one than anyone else. And we are proud of what we can contribute to make Willy B the hardest place to play in the nation.