Tips From A Man's Man: Barney Stinson

Tips From A Man's Man: Barney Stinson

170
Tips From A Man's Man: Barney Stinson

If you watch "How I Met Your Mother," you know that Barney Stinson, played by Neil Patrick Harris is hilarious. Barney Stinson is a man's man. He's the man all guys have dreamed of being, and the boy all girls have nightmares of running into. 

He's the perfect combination of confidence, charm and charisma that facilitates his womanizing antics. Albeit, Stinson is a fictional character who is debatably sociopathic, college men can learn a thing or two from him. 

1. Suit Up 

From the very first episode, Barney stresses the importance of "suiting up." While I'm not suggesting that you wear a suit everywhere you go, because that'll probably catch you some negative attention depending on where you go to school, but your appearance does matter. 

Despite your best efforts to transcend shallow judgment, your mind will make subconscious judgments about peoples' outward appearance. When going somewhere in a suit, you will notice that you will get more attention from both men and women. That is because when you look put together people will assume you are put together. 

You don't have to go overboard to the point where people start referring to you as a metrosexual. Just simply try not to look like you are going to work out, unless you're going to the gym. Looking well put-together will earn you the respect of your peers and professors. People will take you seriously if you take yourself seriously. Plus, you never know when you might run into someone you may want to marry. 

2.  "Have you met Ted?"

This one is self explanatory. Barney is completely uninhibited when meeting new people, but perhaps his most realistic and efficient ice breaker is; "Have you met ted?" 

Obviously, you'll modify Ted with the name of whoever you're with, but it really is a solid opening line to get the ball rolling. So next time your buddy is being a wuss about talking to a girl across the room go up to her and say have you met so and so. He'll probably thank you.   

3. Challenge Accepted 

Whenever Barney's ability to do anything comes in to question, he defiantly shouts "Challenge accepted!" This is a mentality of confidence that many people are lacking. Instead of claiming something is impossible, you should always be looking for ways to make things happen. Someone had to be the first person to do it, why shouldn't it be you? 

Never set limits for yourself and always try to exceed expectations. This is when it comes to anything, playing a sport, taking a difficult class or approaching an attractive girl. Nothing is out of your capacity, you're just as human as everyone else. If you want to do something, go do it. And if you give up you just don't want it bad enough. As Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." 

4. Legendary 

"Legendary" is Barney's go to word when describing anything that is awesome to an extreme degree. Although he may use the word rather liberally, it still holds great meaning. He uses to the word to describe any activity, event, or thought that he has, regardless of how subjective the legendary thing in question is. It is legendary because he thinks that. 

Similar to a go big or go home mentality, you should aim to make everything in your life legendary. Have a positive outlook and hold yourself to a high expectation. They say if you have no expectations you'll never be disappointed. However, if you have no expectations you're also a loser. Find enjoyment out of life, appreciate the little things, do whatever you want to do and make it legendary.