Eight Middle School Fashion Trends Guaranteed to Make You Cringe

277

I know it’s only Wednesday, but I’m going to take you on a little throwback with this article. I recently stumbled upon a picture of me in seventh grade. I don’t even have to explain to you what came to mind, because I’m sure you don’t have any trouble at all remembering the glory days we call Middle School. If you’re having trouble remembering this wonderful time, let me help jog your memory.

1.     Gauchos
Please allow me to re-introduce you to the very first middle school fashion trend I encountered: Gauchos. It is unclear why gauchos ever become popular, but if you’re a girl, you know what I’m talking about. It was some sort of pre-yoga pant hybrid that flared out at the calf. I personally liked to pair mine with some platform sandals.

2.     Leggings Under Denim Skirts­
Contrary to popular belief, leggings actually become popular in middle school. I clearly remember the first every leggings I saw on someone. There she was with leggings, under a denim mini skirt of course, walking though the cafeteria. I bought a pair the next day, along with the rest of the grade.

3.     Polos And Lace Camis­­
I owned the polo trend. I think I had about fifteen different colors, at least. You always had to wear a cami underneath; lace was the way to go. Pull the cami down as far as it will stretch. Extra bonus points if the Aeropostale stitched logo on the polo matched the color of the cami.

4.     Tanks Over Shirts­
The dress code didn’t allow us to wear tank tops, so naturally we improvised. Layering a cute summer spaghetti strap tank over your $30 Abercrombie shirt was hot.

5.     Sequin Purses
These purses were the Gods of all purses. They took over the middle school like a disease. Look around the cafeteria and you could see every shade imaginable. Huge, bulky and scratchy sequins everywhere. Ugh.

6.     Tracksuits­
Yep, these were hot. A matching velvety material tracksuit that was sure to make you sweat in class. Extra cool girls had Juicy tracksuits. I’m not sure why having the word “Juicy” plastered across your butt was school acceptable, but it was cool nonetheless.

7.     Flair Jeans With Nikes­
There was nothing like pairing your new Abercrombie ripped flair jeans with those neon running shoes you got for Christmas. Pair this combo with above-mentioned polo and lace cami and you’re good to go.

8.    Livestrong Bracelets
It’s not that the LiveStrong bracelets were a bad trend. It could have all stopped after they came out. But no, we soon fell into a deep, dark hole of rubber bracelets. You could find anywhere from the mall to the gas station. All had deep words engraved in them. Examples: “Love,” “Strength,” “Bravery.” You get the picture.

RIP middle school trends. Never forget.