"Hot Girl of the Day" Has Got To Go

"Hot Girl of the Day" Has Got To Go

Girls, you're even better than you look.

224
"Hot Girl of the Day" Has Got To Go

College students everywhere know all about these pages: "TFM Girls", "BIG10Tens", "BarstoolU Smokeshow of the Day", etc., etc., until I want to throw my phone out the window.

Guys follow them to check out and alert their friends to hot girls across the country, and girls follow them to boost themselves and their friends onto the sites.

This absolutely HAS to stop.

First of all, I can guarantee that more than 90% of the photos on these sites were submitted by the girls themselves. You have nothing better to do with your time than take a selfie in a bikini and send it in to TFM with the hopes that one of the sleazy dudes on staff will feature you for the day? Really?

And second of all, how is that flattering? Congratulations, a creepy post-grad dude you've never met thinks you're hot. That's it. The nation did not take a vote. You were not nominated and democratically selected. So no, you are not the hottest girl in your conference. Your sorority is not the "best at tailgating in the nation." And really, what does that even mean? Are these girls the best at taking shotgun photos, the best at creating uniquely-revealing game day outfits? How did you operationalize your variables? LMK.

But honestly, it's not that these women aren't attractive. Every girl and group of girls on these sites is beautiful. Jealousy is not fueling my disgust with these sites, because I genuinely agree that the BIG10 Tens are 10s, but I have absolutely no desire to myself be featured someday. Does it seriously make your day to have a photo of you in next to no clothing ogled by men across the country, commenting foul and offensive things on the photos and tagging their friends to join in on the fun? 

I need to clarify that I am not trying to shame these girls for taking photos in revealing outfits or showing off their bodies. That is absolutely their prerogative, and if that's what you want to do, it's not my place to judge. My point is that being the "Smokeshow of the Day" is not some sort of trophy or badge of honor. If you think you're hot, rock it. Post photos on your Instagram and Facebook that show off your confidence. But you do NOT need to submit those same photos to a trashy college site that ranks girls on "hotness" in some sort of plea for validation. Because it's false and based on the opinions of creeps hiding behind their usernames. 

These sites fuel the idea that women are what they look like. Yes, I get my hair highlighted, and I like to do my makeup and buy flattering clothes. But when I think of who I am, my looks don't even come up. You are the way you treat people, the things you find important, the goofy videos that make you laugh, the drunken heartfelt words shared with friends over a giant pizza eaten in three minutes flat. Your appearance is such a minuscule part of who you are. Anyone who finds the way I look to be the most, or even ONE of the most, important parts of me doesn't belong in my life. 

Our culture has become a toxic place for self-confidence, where everyone is encouraged to look the way that only a very small percentage of the population looks naturally. As college women, and especially women in sororities, we should appreciate all the girls around us for being beautiful people, and not just for having beautiful features. Try to make an effort to stop calling your friends skinny and complimenting their individual body parts. Adjectives like radiant, stunning, and glowing are some of the best and most underused compliments out there, and they're awesome because they describe that someone looks awesome BASED ON who they are. 

It's ok to appreciate beauty. I follow models (and male models, not gonna lie) on social media, and read magazines featuring fitness and beauty tips. I notice that people are hot and I want to feel hot. It's literally biologically built into us. But what separates us from animals is intellect, so I am begging you all to use that to realize that these "hot girl of the day sites" are creepy and overrated and ridiculous and YOU DO NOT WANT A MIDDLE-AGED MAN FROM NORWAY COMMENTING ON YOUR BUTT. You don't. And if you do, get that checked out.