Why The Wine And Blue Might Not Be For You

110

As many of you may know, I am not the most “srattiest” of them all. I’m not constantly sporting Lilly Pulitzer, nor do I have my monogram tattooed on my body, car, rain boots, Nike shorts, etc. However, you may think this is because I am not proud of being Greek, but you are sadly mistaken. 

My sorority, Pi Phi, has given me more than just a title of being in a sorority, it has helped me grow through the people I have befriended and experiences I have had while being apart of such a wonderful association, while also befriending many people outside my sorority as well (proving that you can make friends in other sororities and with people outside of Greek life). It’s more than just the functions and fun sorority accessories, it’s more than being able to wear letters and say you’re Greek. If you think the only rewards from being in a sorority are the items and events I just listed above, I hate to tell you my friend, but you are wrong. But then again, if you are solely committing to Greek life because of those things… the wine and blue might not be for you.  Although the parties and sorority items given to you from your big or inside your bid day basket are wonderful and great, there is more than just the festivities and parties.  There are lessons to be learned, and friendships to be made. 

For those of you reading this going through rush this year, ask yourself what you want out of your future Greek affiliation. Is it the date parties and swaps? Or are you in it for benefits such as lifelong friendship, commitment, and philanthropic service? If you are already involved in Greek life, maybe these are some things you can focus on.  Think about it. If you’re in it for the parties, you might just stop reading right here because below I have explained what I have gained from being in a sorority and it might not be what you expected or what you are looking for in Greek life. In the end, you end up in the house where you belong. Therefore, the wine and silver blue might not be for you, however for me, it has been the perfect fit.

1.People who enlighten me

My friends,most of whom live all across the US stretching from the West Coast to the East Coast, have taught me  more than I would ever want to know their hometowns, customs, and traditions. Nevertheless, without befriending them, I would have never known as much as I do about California, Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, and so on as I do now. And for that I am grateful, they have increased my desire to explore the world and find beauty in every state.  Here’s my thank you for letting me into your life, and your journeys.

2. Somebody to lean on 

Cheesy? Yes, but nevertheless oh so true. I can depend on my friends for just about anything. Many students from Ole Miss who are from far away tend to fly into either Jackson, Mississippi or Memphis, Tennessee. I tell you this because several times I have had friend call me, because I am a fellow Memphian, to take them to the airport, pick them up (and even  take them to Oxford with me sometimes), or save them from a cancelled flight. Those friends, also known as my sorority sisters,  could depend on me to help them, and I knowing they would do to the same for me, I helped them in a heart beat.  

3. Laughter and good times

Being in a sorority is more than attending swaps and formals, although some of my favorite and fondest memories stream from those events. When I say laughter and good times, what I am referring to is the days you spend at the house all day and night studying (because studying is so fun ha ha ), maybe a buddy or two studying with you and you hit that point of delirium. At this time, it’s time for a study break, it’s about 11 p.m. and your friends studying with you go for a ride around campus for some fresh air, maybe blast some music, take a frat lap or two, yelling or scaring those walking around frat row so late at night… Some of those study breaks, for me, have been some of the most hilarious times with my best friends as we piled into a small SUV to relieve all our worries about the next days test.  

4. A good cry

Don’t we know we all have those days. An overwhelming amount of stress from school or boy problems put us over the edge. Therefore all we need is our friends and maybe a glass of wine or froyo (or both) to get past this milestone. Not to mention, friends will provide us with tissues or a shoulder to cry on while repeatedly telling us it will all be okay. 

5. A push for personal and intellectual growth

Whether going to the library or attending a tutoring session together. My friends have been there to double team study guides, execute notecards, and even share some words of wisdom. Furthermore, they have pushed me to achieve above and beyond in my studies and everyday work, while reminding me that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

6. Comfort without judgement

I know people who feel that they cannot go into their sorority house without makeup, without a designer bag, or without judging onlookers who are analyzing and judging their every move. To me, this is pitiful and sad.  Numerous times, I have walked into my sorority house, sleepless and zombie-like because of lack of sleep or maybe a late night of “studying” at the square Library. Needless to say, I have never felt uncomfortable walking into my house. Also I don’t feel like I have to be someone else in order to feel like I belong in my sorority. I feel at home whether I’m eating, studying, or hanging out the srat castle (what my boyfriend calls the sorority houses). 

7. Role models

Throughout Pi Phi, many girls have lead and served in several organizations outside of Greek life. Furthermore they have showed me that just because you are affiliated in a sorority, it doesn’t mean you cannot continue to go above and beyond in the community. Through studying abroad and endless and incredible internships, I am inspired by each of my sister's opportunities achievements. They are truly role models. 

8. Philanthropic Service 

Before college I attended an all girls Catholic school. At my school, service to others was not an option, it was a way of life. I hoped that being a sorority would help me continue this way of life, and I am happy to say that philanthropic service to others is something that still holds a high importance to me today. Pi Phi has helped me reach out to the Oxford community, but also to children around the world, especially children who struggle to read.  Pi Phi has led me to acknowledge and strive to assist those who need it the most. After all, we aren’t angels for nothing. 

9. Celebrations and positive influences 

Whether it is celebrating life or celebrating a good test grade. There’s no such thing as a dull moment with my best buds. I swear our lives would make for a great TV show (or movie- probably both). In any event my friends continuously reiterate YOLO daily. As overused and corny the saying YOLO is… sometimes you can’t help but just live ya know??? I’m thankful to be surrounded by people who influence and help me grow to be the best person I can be, with a little celebration along the way too. 

10. Beautiful, future bridesmaids 

Lastly, but certainly not least. The girls that surround me, my best friends, will be the girls laughing, crying (happily), and celebrating with me on the altar someday and I hope to do the same for them when they find their perfect Prince Charming. They deserve everything in the world because they have given more than they know. 

I am forever thankful for what Pi Phi has given to me. I could never thank “the sisterhood” enough for the friendship, lessons, and memories it has bestowed unto me. Thankfully I have two more years of the fun left with my sisters, but that doesn’t mean it all ends after college graduation. There are many more memories to be made  and fun to be had.