A Vibrant Rainbow Of Horror

A Vibrant Rainbow Of Horror

American Horror Story: The History

12
A Vibrant Rainbow Of Horror
American Horror Story embodies a new kind of horror in each season of its anthology-type style. From former Nazi designed zombies, to serial killer clowns, AHS has it all. Ryan Murphy, co-creator of AHS, will stop at nothing to expose some of humanity’s deepest fears on television in order to give his audiences some good old fashioned scares. AHS features new terrors each season because each season has a new and separate storyline. Every season features a different style and genre of horror, often dividing viewers, each season, because of the wide range of changes that occur season to season. The fourth season of AHS has begun, and although it is nowhere near finished, it has already settled into its horror niche.

One of the best things about AHS is that viewers can hop in and watch whichever season they want. If you have thought about dipping your toe in the horror genre, AHS is a perfect catalyst. Here is a quick rundown of each season and how they stack up. Although I will talk about overall themes of each season, there will be no spoilers. 

Season one: "Murder House." AHS kicked off with a moderately unknown, but gifted cast for this season with Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters, Frances Conroy, and Taissa Farmiga. McDermott and Britton played a struggling married couple, the Harmons, who moved into a new house with their daughter, played by Farmiga. The family was not aware, however, of the atrocities that occurred in their seemingly perfect house, causing malevolent and disturbed spirits to linger. 

Encountering violent spirits, odd neighbors, sinister visitors and family drama, the Harmon family fought for their lives and their sanity. While ghosts are the primary horror convention in this season, Murphy loves throwing in overly sexual elements so he can warp them into horrific encounters.

Overall, this season is dark, but has a dash of campiness that is reminiscent of classic horror films. The campiness gives the show a bit of humor to brighten the darkness so the audience never feels too entrenched in the horror. This unique mix makes "Murder House" a good season for those who can handle horror, but only in small doses. Horror scale: six out of 10.

Season 2: "Asylum." Season two embarked on a bleak journey inside an insane asylum, Briarcliff Manor, and revealed the disturbing interactions occurring within its walls. Audience favorites Jessica Lange, Evan Peters, Zachary Quinto and Frances Conroy returned for this season along with Dylan McDermott who guest-starred in several episodes. Although a bulk of the season took place in 1964, some scenes flashed forward to the modern day time period. The series’ protagonist, Sarah Paulson, played an investigative journalist who entered the asylum searching for answers. However, after meeting Jessica Lange’s character, the head nun Sister Jude, Paulson’s visit became much more permanent.

Through Paulson’s eyes, the audience watches a slew of horrors develop and unfold in the asylum, and the stakes are raised because of an unknown serial killer named, Bloody Face. This season is heavy because of how many horror tropes the writers weaved into the plot. There is human experimentation, serial killers, mentally unstable patients, aliens, and more. Additionally, there are several more disturbing sexual encounters that the writers use to add another element of horror.

As a whole, this season seems to be the darkest and most hopeless. You will likely spend most of this season wringing your hands and trying to calm down your pounding heart because the suspense and dread is almost constant. Because of this, "Asylum" is recommended for experienced horror movie watchers. Horror scale: eight out of 10.     

Season 3: "Coven." The third season of AHS brought back several fan favorites to stir up supernatural trouble including Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Taissa Farmiga, Frances Conroy, Lily Rabe and Evan Peters. Big name actresses Kathy Bates, Emma Roberts and Angela Bassett joined the season and boosted show ratings to the highest they’d ever been. This season followed a coven of witches and their conflicts with voodoo practitioners, witch hunters and the task of finding the new Supreme. The Supreme is the witch who has mastered all powers and she rules over the rest of the witches. However, Jessica Lange’s character, Fiona Goode, is the current Supreme and she isn’t keen on giving up her power. Almost everything takes place in modern times, aside from a few backstories, allowing this season to be the snarkiest and sassiest one yet. The horror genre in this season is more focused on witchcraft, however, it also features racism and rape in horrific ways.

This season has some horrific elements, but the satire and comedy ultimately reign. It is more likely to produce a chuckle than a scream due to its witty dialogue and cleverly humorous characters. Because it is more of a drama mixed with comedy, this season is ideal for new horror watchers who are easily scared. Horror scale: four out of 10. 

Season 4: "Freak Show." The most recent installment of AHS, though still in its beginning stages, may be the darkest of them all. Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates and Emma Roberts returned to put on a carnival of freaks during the 1950s -- a time when freak shows were dying out.

Sarah Paulson has pulled off one of the greatest feats of TV acting, by playing conjoined Siamese twins, Bette and Dot Tattler. Bette and Dot were brought into the freak show by Lange’s character, Elsa Mars, who acted as a ringmaster of sorts. Mars round up a range of freaks, including a bearded woman, a man with crab-like hands, the world’s smallest woman and more. Some of the “freaks” on the show are played by people with real disfigurements. While the freak show is struggling to stay afloat, there is also a mysterious threat in the form of a psychotic and murderous clown, Twisty. Twisty alone makes the show 10 times scarier.

The show pays homage to past films, such as Freaks, in its almost cult-like portrayal of the band of carnies. This season of AHS, similar to "Coven," has more of a central focus directed at the various freaks and how they survive in a world that hates them. It is also unique in that it seems to be the first season without any supernatural elements.

"Freak Show" is psychologically twisted, with sprinkles of dark humor throughout. So far, it seems to be a hybrid between "Asylum" and "Coven," focusing more on classic horror, though. And, if you hadn’t already guessed, this season has the usual strange and terrifying sexual situations. Because of the complexity and gritty realistic horror of this season, it is likely a better option for seasoned horror fans. If you are even the least bit scared of clowns, good luck making it through the first episode. Horror scale: 11 out of 10.