The Good And The Bad Of 2013

The Good And The Bad Of 2013

4

2013 was in no way an uneventful year for the good ol' US of A, as far as I’m concerned. The positive events of the year seemed spectacular, while the negative and cringe-worthy seemed to splatter obnoxiously across the front pages of tabloids day after day, providing never-ending entertainment. We saw new stars become superstars, like the amazing Jennifer Lawrence. We also witnessed the demise of some of our favorite celebrities, like Amanda Bynes. There were also a few events that may have caused you to question the sanity of the world we live in today (ahem… Miley). But there were also some exciting incidents here on the home front at OU. So fasten your seatbelts and get ready to take the trip down memory lane of 2013.
As far as the cringe-worthy goes, I only have two people to single out and they are Miley Cyrus and Amanda Bynes. Miley’s grind-sesh with Robin Thicke on the VMA’s pretty much ruined “Blurred Lines” for the rest of the country. Additionally, her music video featuring a money sandwich and a french fry skull was the talk-worthy sensation for several months after its release. Not to mention the fact that, according to Cyrus, the video was inspired by true events. Miley also sparked a widespread obsession with twerking, which I can safely say has been a prime source of amusement at every college party throughout this year. Not everyone agrees that her acts were inappropriate and I have to give her credit for making a statement. Personally, I think her tongue action alone proves that she is well beyond her days as Hannah Montana.
As for Miss Bynes, I should have knocked on wood when I used to rave about how she was the only child star to refrain from going crazy. My bad, guys. This year featured Amanda shaving her head and donning  the worst wigs ever. She also invested in some dermal piercings where we used to see the most beautiful dimples when she smiled. On top of that, she was caught and arrested after starting a fire in the front yard of a neighbor’s home. Maybe she was perfectly happy singing “Kumbaya” and roasting marshmallows by the fire that morning, but this act alone proves that she needs a little help. Luckily, Amanda has been in a mental facility for the past few months and is allegedly making a comeback. Hopefully, her story will have a happily ever after.

Of course, there were other events this year that made us cringe, but for your sake I’m only going to mention these two lovely ladies and their shenanigans. Now, bring in the dancing lobsters!
Now for the positive occurrences of this year. It’s nearly impossible to dislike J-Law and this year only proved that she is even cooler than we originally thought. From her f-word slip up as she tripped up the stairs trying to accept an Oscar, to her freak out after meeting Jack Nicholson, she just seems like someone we all would like to know. If the situation called for it, I’m pretty sure I would sacrifice my right arm to meet Jennifer Lawrence. She is not afraid to be herself in any situation and,
after this year, she’s America’s sweetheart.        
It would seem that the loss at OU/Texas left a lot of us down in the dumps in regards to our football performance. Let’s not be too blue because our win at Bedlam made up for it. I’m a very superstitious person and in the final minutes when it seemed that all hope was lost, I convinced myself that I was causing the team bad luck by watching the game and that’s why we were losing. I promptly left the room for the last few minutes of the game and what happened? Yeah, 33-24, you’re welcome OU. Some people argue that the last call of the game was questionable. However, in my experience, every single football game ever played has had questionable calls, so keep your britches on people.
There you have it, a little taste of the good and bad of 2013. God bless America and her freedom, which gives us the most interesting and action-packed country on the planet. Happy New Year everyone.