October is Domestic Violence Awareness month and there are many ways to get involved. From 7-9 p.m. on Oct. 8, there will be a screening of Telling Amy’s Story at Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College’s small auditorium, located on the east side of the service road of I-35 just north of Indian Hills Road. This event is free and open to the public, and OU students are encouraged to get involved and get informed.

Telling Amy’s Story is a documentary that highlights the months and years leading up to the death of Amy Homan McGee, a mother of two who was murdered by her husband, Vincent McGee, in their home while her children waited in the car.

Amy and Vincent met in 1997 in State College, Pennsylvania and quickly fell in love. Soon after, McGee began driving Amy to-and-from her job at Verizon Wireless every day. He started to obsessively check her schedule to be sure she was not working alone with other men and compulsively calling the store to check on Amy. Co-workers quickly noticed strange behavior from Vincent and began to worry about Amy’s safety.

Their worst fears were confirmed when Amy repeatedly came to work with bruises claiming she “was hit with a softball” or “ didn’t catch a falling box.”

Amy’s co-workers formulated fake schedules to throw Vincent off track and Amy’s parents drove her to the police station to get a protection order. However, no one would have dreamed Amy’s situation would lead to her death.

On Nov. 8, 2001, Amy was shot and passed away in her home. Vincent was convicted of murder and is currently serving a life sentence in prison.

Because Amy was a Verizon Wireless employee, the company has made domestic violence prevention one of their corporate responsibilities. The Verizon Foundation funded an investigation by Detective Deidri Fishel. In the past, the incidents of Amy’s life and death seemed fragmented and disjointed. Fishel was able to create an organized timeline to clearly highlight the danger signs and vital moments that police or other services could have interfered before it was too late.

The screening of Telling Amy’s Story at Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College is a revealing and educational event geared toward college students both male and female.

Telling Amy’s Storywill be followed by a short panel session where experts will discuss domestic violence in our community and answer questions from the audience about dealing with this issue. KFOR Meteorologist Emily Sutton will serve as the emcee and panel moderator. Don’t miss this free opportunity at 7 p.m. on Oct. 8. For more information about this event, please contact Elyse Maxwell at elyse@jonesprinc.com