Say No To Fad Diets

Say No To Fad Diets

53
Say No To Fad Diets

Fad diets have become engrained in our culture. Nearly every person I know has tried, or seriously considered trying, a fad diet program. The idea that these special diets are going to solve all of an individual’s health problems is far from the truth, in most cases. The most important thing to remember, when considering a new diet, is that many of the companies and people that market these programs seek to gain financially from selling books, DVDs and other merchandise related to the diet. It is important to analyze each one individually, for its safety and to determine whether it is reasonable to think that it can help you accomplish what it claims.

In this article, I explore what constitutes a fad diet, as well as some of the most popular fad diets, including the potential benefits and risks associated with each. First of all, what is the definition of a fad diet? According to Maryann Jacobsen, a registered dietitian of 20 years and a regular writer for the Huffington Post, these are some of the red flags that you can look for when determining if a diet will be healthy and safe. 

Weight loss deadlines 

Diets that promise to help you lose a certain amount of weight in an unrealistically short amount of time are not only dangerous, but are counterintuitive to the science of effective weight loss. The evolution of the human body has produced a number of physiological traits that promote the storage of fat for later use as energy. This would have been one of the most beneficial factors for survival hundreds of years ago. For this reason, losing any more than two pounds of fat per week could cause your body to hold on to fat in order to prepare for greater future energy needs. 

Temporary practice of diet method 

Some diets claim that you will be able to practice it for a few weeks, and maintain the effects when you return to your previous eating habits. The purpose of trying to change your diet and exercise habits should be to create long lasting changes in your habits. This is the most effective way to maintain long term health. 

Food restriction 

A balanced diet, that consists of a diversity of foods from all the food groups, is the best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Diets that claim to provide profound health benefits through an extremely limited selection of food and drink are likely to deprive your body of necessary nutrients. 

Although I was able to find some pretty extreme fad diets, including the werewolf diet, the tapeworm diet, and the cotton ball diet (look these up), I am going to explore some of the more common, less extreme diets. Many of the practices listed above are consistently found in the following diets.

Atkins diet 

The Atkins diet requires participants to lower the amount of carbs they eat. The idea is that lowering your carb intake will force your body to use stored fat as energy, allowing you to lose weight. There is not solid scientific evidence to back up this particular claim, but some potential benefits of this diet include improved triglyceride counts in the blood and better heart health. The diet does not restrict the amount or type of meat that an individual eats, so it is possible that an individual who cuts carbs, but consistently eats fatty meats, could have worsened heart health. Common risks associated with a low carb diet include headache, weakness and constipation. 

Juice cleanses

Juice cleanses aim to flush out toxins in the body by ingesting only juices from fruits and vegetables, after removing the fiber. The problem with this is that fiber is responsible for clearing much of the residue from digestion out of the intestines, and slows digestion to allow for better nutrient absorption. This diet limits or removes many of the macronutrients that are necessary for proper bodily functioning and is likely to result in weakness, dizziness, and even difficulty sleeping. 

As I mentioned in a previous article, regarding the supplement and health foods industry, the marketing tactics employed by the people and companies who benefit from certain fad diets are devious. In the case of health magazines, the goal is to promote the idea that there is always something flawed about your physique or health habits, and that they have the ultimate solution. As a general rule, no single diet, exercise plan, or food is best for all people. You have to do a little personal research and experimentation to find out what health practices work for you. If you can find a healthy lifestyle that works for you, and stick with it, I guarantee your quality of life will improve.