The In's and Out's of Temp Littles

The In's and Out's of Temp Littles

173
The In's and Out's of Temp Littles

Starting the hunt for your perfect perma-little, and meeting plenty of other awesome new girls along the way.

ItĀ seems like it was just yesterday when I went through recruitment and accepted my bid from Delta Gamma. I ran to the house gleefully into open arms, and Bid Day 2013 was one of my greatest memories from freshman year. It was on my bid day that I met my temp big, who ended up becoming my permanent big.

The roles were reversed this year, and I didn't quite believe the upperclassmen when they said that this side of recruitment that I am now working on is more stressful than actually going through recruitment itself. This year's recruitment was so trying for me as an individual that I wanted to throw in the towel several times. As I was watching my sisters work every party, I would chant on the sidelines without working a fraction of what they did. I wondered if I was ever going to have a rush crush, because I haven't met The One (little) for me yet. My outlook on recruitment was pretty dim.Ā 

Then, as it would so happen, all of the stress, sweat, and tears of work week and recruitment were worth it when I saw my temp little run to Delta Gamma for the first time as my sister. When I waved my name sign at my temp little, we ended up going into a running hug. I was embracing this little one that I barely knew with all the love that was showered onto me by my first temp big one year ago, and it was magical. Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Most sorority and fraternity members get what is called a 'temp little' starting on Bid Day. A temp little, short for 'temporary little,' is a new member of your house who you have for about a week. When you have a temp little, you try and determine by hanging out with them and chatting with them if they are the person you would want as your permanent little. Not everyone gets the same great bond with their temp little right off of the bat like I did, so these next few weeks are very important to find The One who is right for you. Ā  Ā Ā 

When it comes to getting your temp littles, each house can do their big-little pairings differently. You might be matched with someone who has the same interests, or you could be matched at random! So keeping that in mind, when your house gives you the information as to who your temp little is, you should automatically reach out to them! Your temp little may be shy, and it is good to take the initiative when it comes to something as important as being on the search for the newest addition to your family. Just put your best foot forward, and shoot your temp little a text saying, 'Hi! My name is *insert name* and I am your temp big for the week!' Ā  Ā 

The next step is to try to meet up with your temp little at least once to get a feel for them. Since everyone on campus runs on different schedules, it is important to reach out to your temp little as soon as you know who they are to start trying to set up a time to meet that week. You can meet up with your temp little for as little or as long as you want, and you set the pace with that by choosing what activity you are going to do when you first hang out with your temp little. Some things you can do with your temp little can be going to a restaurant on campus, going to Starbucks to get a coffee and chat, having a mini movie night, or just hanging out at the house one day to talk! There are so many more activities that you can do with your temp little than the few that I have mentioned. But why I suggest activities that involve food is because one, college kids have the human need to eat; two, it is a lot easier to bond over food. Seriously. It sounds weird, but it is true. Brace yourself, broke college kids - you should pay for the first 'date' that you two go on. Littles, even temporary ones, are expensive. It is a common courtesy to pay for the date activity, but by the time you get to your fifth temp little, you will be tired of spending money on others. Yet we do it in the pursuit of happiness when we find The One little that is just perfect!Ā  So just keep this mental note in the back of your mind before you visibly gripe in front of your temp little about having to pay the bill. Trust me, it will all be worth once you find your little. Ā  Ā 

So what happens if you already found your perfect little, and they told you that they want you as their big? Then, you still take your other temp littles on dates, because you never know, you might find that you could find another little and want twins! Just because you found The One doesn't mean you are good to go to ignore your other temp littles.Ā  Just treat your temp littles how you were treating them before you found The One for you. These times when you are meeting the new members of your house are the times when you are bonding with your newest brothers/sisters, and that is pretty cool. Ā  Ā 

Lastly, don't forget to follow up with your temp little. You can shoot them a text letting them know that you had a great time and would love to do it again sometime! Don't have the 'one and done' mentality when going through this temp little process. If that is how you feel, you won't get the most out of this experience. Ā  Ā Ā 

Enjoy the journey of finding your permanent little! You only get to do this once, so go into it with the right attitude, because then you will come out of it successfully as a big.