Cultured Costumes

Cultured Costumes

Keep It Creative

14
Cultured Costumes

Want to be hip, modern, and so 2014? Check out this list of hot costume ideas  that sprang up since last Halloween. 

1. Sharknado 2. This shark sensation was a bigger hit than the first one. Strap a fin to your back or your head, and swim your way through any party crowd. Comedy points: get creative with a bottle of fake blood a la Phil and Luke in the ‘monstrating’ episode of Modern Family

2. Kim and Kanye. They got married this summer, they recently made a heinous and uncomfortable music video, and they’re the easiest celebrity franchise to make fun of. Extra points if you find someone to go as Kylie and her terrible blue hair. 

3. Ryan Gosling’s ex girlfriends. A revenge theme has never been more chic. The saying, "if you’re not first, you’re last' has never been truer since Eva Mendes won the golden ticket by letting the dreamboat of The Notebook impregnate her. On the flip side, you could represent hope for everlasting love and go as Rachel McAdams. 

4. New Royal baby. It is convenient that the world is still holding its breath on the gender and name of the newest addition to the British royal family, because it leaves a lot of room for speculation and creativity. Pink or blue, Diana or Henry, you decide! Just put on a crown on and you’re ready to be a royal. Mix it up: find a friend and go as twins.

5. Pregnant Mila. Another lucky lady locks down one of Hollywood’s hottest hunks. Mila is great because she’s played a few distinct characters, and all you need to do is stuff a throw pillow under your shirt and, boom, you’re Mrs. Ashton Kutcher. Bonus points: pregnant Black Swan Mila. 

6. Frozen.This movie has gained so much exposure, it is hard to believe it came out since last Halloween. Elsa, Ana, Kristoff, Olaf, the snow monster --your options are endless. Extra-mile points: go as Olaf and fashion yourself a personal snow flurry. 

7. FIFA World Cup. Although largely forgotten (it is soccer, after all), FIFIA happened this year in Brazil. Throw on a jersey, paint your face and tie a flag, from your country of choice, around your neck like a cape. Don’t forget to shout “gooaall!” at random intervals and loudly proclaim that American football isn’t real football. 

8. Colorado pot shop owner. Ever wonder when is the appropriate time to wear your Bob Marley dreadlocks wig and marijuana lanyard? When you go as a weed dealer from Colorado. Don’t be too convincing. Oklahoma is not on the same page, yet. 

9. NFL executive. If you find yourself frequently putting your foot in your mouth, or choosing to tell selective truths, this is a natural character for you. Put on a suit, a red tie, and carry a mic around stammering and looking over your shoulder all night. Comedy points -- have a friend tape a “Whoops” sign to your back. 

10. IPhone 7. This is an easy costume for people who want to spend minimal time and get a quick laugh. All you need to do is get a small piece of cardboard, about the size of an iPad Mini, punch holes in it and tie it around your neck. Don’t forget to label it in the worst handwriting possible. 

11. American royal family. Bey and Jay go best in costume as they do in real life -- as a family unit. Grab your beau and your BFF/third wheel and go as the family that just won’t quit. If the Beyoncé of the group isn’t wearing a black, white or sparkly leotard, then you’re not Beyoncé. 

12. Chandelier by Sia. A little more revealing, but anyone who is aware of pop culture will know exactly who you are. Not bold enough to wear nothing but a nude leotard? A nude dress (see American Apparel) is a good option. Grab a white-blonde wig with bangs and you’re set! Add edge by trimming the wig yourself. 

13. Angelina Jolie’s wedding dress. Although initially kept a secret, the Jolie-Pitt wedding, that has been years in the making, finally happened this year. Angie’s dress looked like a normal a white wedding gown from the front, but the back was covered with her children’s drawings. Luckily, you only need a veil, a white dress and the art skills of a three year old to make this costume. Comedy points: gather your most diverse friends and make them follow you around in a swarm all night, the more the merrier. 

14. Red Band SocietyThis new hit show makes for tear-jerking TV and comfortable costumes. All you need is a hospital gown and a red bracelet. Don’t have one? Color a piece of paper red and tape it to your wrist. Admit it, you already did it for bid day, this year. 

15. Shondaland. If you have been living under a rock, I’m sorry. For everyone else, you know that Shonda Rhimes is changing the world one TV show at a time. President Obama may be the leader of the free world, but Shonda is the leader of the world we would rather be a part of. Dress up as any of her three shows -- Grey’s Anatomy (scrubs), Scandal (long white jackets), or How To Get Away With Murder (leather jackets, faux murder weapons). 

16. Ariana Grande. High pony, a mic and you’re done. If you really want to go the extra mile, wear a brightly colored body-con dress.