Arezzo: OU's Sister City

Arezzo: OU's Sister City

20
Arezzo: OU's Sister City

Last weekend I had the pleasure of visiting OU student and Tri Delta sorority member, Nguyen Le, in Arezzo, Italy!

This is what she had to say about her new home and the OU in Arezzo (OUA) program. 

Why did you decide to study abroad? Why Arezzo?

I decided to study abroad because I believe this experience will enrich me and help me learn not only about myself, but also give me a new perspective on other cultures. It’s an opportunity to travel and experience another culture first-hand. I chose Arezzo because it’s a relatively small town in Italy and Italy is an artistic and cultural attraction.

What is the most enjoyable aspect of Arezzo?

My favorite part of living here is the small town feel. Arezzo has a population of around 100,000 in Italy’s region of Tuscany. I feel very safe here, as most of the locals are familiar with Norman, Okla. Since 2009 we have been sister cities with Arezzo.

What is something you wish someone had told you prior to studying abroad?

There is so much paperwork for the study abroad application, in general, but once you are accepted into the program there is an absolute overload. You also need to plan an efficient budget sheet, including an estimate of how much you’re going to spend each month.

What aspect of study abroad was most unexpected?

My biggest struggle has been adjusting to my new environment and my new norm. However, I didn’t experience a huge culture shock like I was expecting.

What programs and courses are offered?

You are required to take 12 hours on site. For the spring semester, they offer Renaissance Art in Italy, Italy and World War II, America and World War II and any course on the Italian language. However if you want to opt out of three credit hours, there are a variety of internships you can apply for.

How difficult is the language barrier?

Although I took three semesters of Italian, I took a year off before my semester abroad. It’s sometimes difficult and frustrating when I’m not able to understand my surroundings, but the locals are more than willing to try their best to assist me.

What is your favorite Italian dish?

Other than gelato and any other form of dessert, my favorite Italian dish thus far is called Pici con burra e sage, which is translated as thick noodles with a butter and sage sauce.

What is the coolest thing you've done or seen so far?

Every Sunday at noon, Pope Francis delivers a prayer to the people of Rome in Vatican City. My roommates and I traveled to Rome our second weekend in Europe and we were lucky enough to see and listen to Pope Francis’ speech in person!

What do you miss most about America?

Free water and refills! Water is sometimes less, if not equivalent to a can of soda in Italy. Most of the restaurants you go to don’t give free refills on any sort of drink, unlike restaurants in America.

Would you recommend Arezzo to a friend?

Absolutely! I believe college is the only time we can fully immerse in other cultures and, through OUA, there are advisors to assist you every step of the way.

Fill in the sentence: Study abroad in Arezzo if…

... you want to not only appreciate your own culture, but gain a new perspective on another culture as well.

Is there anything you want to add?

If you have the chance to study for a semester, or even the summer, definitely do so! It's a chance to discover new strengths and abilities, and help you develop skills that a classroom setting will never be able to provide for you.