Alumni Interaction

Alumni Interaction

9
Alumni Interaction

Your undergrad years only last four, five, six or maybe seven years (if you’re Van Wilder). When you finally get to walk across the stage and are handed your diploma, you will become an alumni of not just the University of Oklahoma, but of your Greek organization, as well. 

The alumni of our fraternities are some of the most important resources that we have the opportunity to utilize. They have the time, connections, sometimes the money and the drive to help us become as successful as they are. 

As undergrads, we have lots of time and energy to help our chapters, but little money. Recently graduated alumni still have lots of energy to help, but not a lot of time and they still don’t have a lot of money to throw the chapter's way. Their love for the chapter doesn’t die after they become alumni, but it will take a back seat for a few years. Other things become priorities in their lives. They’ve got an adult job, they’ve probably moved away from Norman, or gotten married and popped out a few kids already. They won’t think about the chapter every day like we still do. With that in mind, be patient with these guys. Don’t hit them up for money. Instead, ask for advice and see if they can spare a weekend to help out with recruitment.

Eventually, these young bucks will become old, uh, seasoned alumni. Their lives will have calmed down and they will have more time to invest back into the chapter. Their kids will be about college age and you’ll give them a bid. Gotta love that legacy status thing, right? Having their kid in the chapter will help pull their attention back. Hopefully, they’ll have lots of money, now, but this is not an invitation to ask for a blank check. Ask them to sponsor projects or events, instead of coming off as just wanting to pad the chapter’s bank account. Alumni would rather know what they are investing in and see it benefit the chapter, so come up with a business proposal. You don’t want to burn any bridges with your alumni by conning them out of cash, because you’ll want them to continue donating in the future.

The silver-haired alumni probably have more free time, especially if they are retired. They are probably the leaders of your Alumni Association, Housing Corporation or even the chapter advisor. Their collective wisdom will help guide your chapter and keep the actives from making the same mistakes that they did back in the day. Seriously though, listen to these guys because they are a great resource. They haven’t made it to the golden years without learning a thing or two.

Your alumni are not evil, minus a handful of regretful initiations. Treat them with respect, but still try and get to know them because they are your brothers. They are kind of like that cool uncle who gives you stuff, if your uncle could donate thousands of dollars and get you internships. At times, they may seem like hard asses, telling you to follow the rules and yelling at you when you get in trouble, but they remember when they were undergrads. Some would argue that it was a better time, when the drinking age was eighteen and gas was a dollar.

Stay in touch with your alumni and let them know what the chapter is up to each month. Send out a newsletter to your alumni to keep them informed and involved throughout the semester. You’ll be alumni sooner than you think, so treat your alumni with respect because they are the key to making a good chapter great.