An Active Approach

An Active Approach

10
An Active Approach

We all have those days when we don’t want to do anything except lay in bed and binge watch Netflix. But when the screen goes black and you see the reflection of your blank face staring back at you, you have to ask yourself, what have you done with your day?

It is so easy to simply sleep through class, skip out on doing your reading, slack on your Greek life duties, or convince yourself not to attend a club meeting or hit the gym. However, at the end of the day, when you realize you have done nothing to improve or enrich your life or yourself, is it really worth it to keep making excuses and miss out on life

College only lasts a short four years, and when I look back on it, I want to be able to say I made the most of my time here. That cannot be achieved by laying in bed and mindlessly staring at a screen for hours on end. While I know we are all guilty of it, myself included, we should make a conscious effort to break our bad habits and take an active approach to life.

We should all want to become the best versions of ourselves. We should try to be the best student, club member, brother or sister, friend and person that we are capable of being. Actively trying to improve your character and actions will alter your view on life. Instead of dreading the day ahead, youll look forward to it as an opportunity to do something great. This simple change in mentality when you wake up in the morning can have an impact that will last the whole day, and push you to actively do things rather than passively let them pass you by. 

One way to take an active approach to life is by going to all your classes. If you are not there, you miss out on the opportunity to learn something new or discover a subject you could be passionate about. Although going to class can, at times, seem tedious and difficult, it’s worth it. The one day you miss could be the day that you would have discovered what you want to do with your life. Who knows.

Another way to have an active approach is simply to be active. Go to the Huff and get your endorphins pumping, take a jog around campus on a cool day, or try out one of the classes offered at the gym. Being active helps renew your energy, keep your body fit and healthy. Clear your mind, which enables you to focus. If you let the freshman 15 catch up to you, chances are you won’t be feeling very good about yourself, which will only increases your desire to do nothing and revert to your bad Netflix habits. In contrast, being active will improve your energy as well as your attitude about the day.

Getting involved is another important part of improving your overall college experience. Be an influential member in your sorority or fraternity house by taking the extra step and doing good for your house. Go to the club meetings you signed up for and be a present, active participant. Greek life and clubs give you the opportunity to make a positive difference in your community. If you don’t participate in your club, or set a good example for your house, you waste the chance to do something that could improve the world around you. 

Improving your world also means making the most out of free time or the dull moments of the day. When your calendar is finally empty and you have nothing scheduled, take advantage of it. Use that time to go out and try something new! Go to a new shop, try a new food, explore campus, or make new friends. Another way to productively fill this time is by doing something you know you enjoy, like hanging out with good friends, going out to eat at your favorite restaurant, or taking a walk to your favorite spot on campus. The possibilities outside of simply watching TV in these free moments are endless and are all prospects to discover or be a part of something great. 

There is so much going on at all times when you’re at college, but it only lasts for four years. Once you’re walking across the stage for graduation, you don’t want to be that kid who looks back and regrets not taking advantage of the countless opportunities that were at their fingertips. Be the kid who can look back fondly on the memories they made and be proud that they took an active approach on their college experience.