Real House Moms of OSU: Kappa Delta

Real House Moms of OSU: Kappa Delta

183
Real House Moms of OSU: Kappa Delta

Mom Jeannie of Kappa Delta made me forget I was even interviewing her! Our conversation was filled with stories about her love for travel, adventure and giving back. If I end up with stories like Mom Jeannie's, I'll be one happy girl.

Mom Jeannie knew she wanted to be a House Mom after her daughter spoke of her House Mom's huge influence on her while she was a Delta Gamma at SMU. It was obviously a great decision. When she first arrived at Kappa Delta, she began with organizing the whole house (finally someone who gets me), and since she has been here she has loved getting to decorate with her girls for different holidays. Mom Jeannie loves her KDs like they are her own family. 

Like any family, there are rules that she likes to follow and expects of the girls. One of my favorites that she shared with me is that phones are not allowed at dinner. We have become a world where we keep our faces and attention on our phones instead of the people that surround us. (I may have to make this a rule with me and my friends next time we go to dinner.)

She also enjoys going to all of Kappa Delta's shows and events the girls are involved in. She loves going to football games, along with giving back in the community. Mom Jeannie has a big heart for giving back. Her favorite volunteering experience was working for Children's Medical in Tulsa before it closed. She got the privilege of working with abused children such as Jonny Miller, who captivated most of her time until he got to return home to his mom.

"The great thing about being a House Mom is that you have an immediate group of friends already," she said, referring to the other lovely House Moms. Along with the other House Moms, she has taken a trip to Oklahoma City with the House Moms of OU - to the horse races last year - and Jeannie is looking forward to lunch with Anne Hargis at her house during Christmas. Mom Jeannie also fills her time taking classes with OLLI at OSU, which is a program of educational courses aimed towards retirees and other adults in the community.

Before Mom Jeannie became Kappa Delta's House Mom, she lived a life of adventure. I can guarantee her bucket list is completely crossed off!

For starters, she has traveled everywhere. Mom Jeannie has been to Hawaii seven times, along with Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean. Prior to arriving at OSU, she went to Orlando and Vegas 11 times in one year. Talk about living the life; she had it made. Mom Jeannie also spent three weeks in Paris for her job. From renting out the Louvre Museum for a cocktail party to having dinner in a castle, she was living large. 

She has also met more famous people than anyone else I know:

• She had dinner with Rod Stewart
  • Mic'd up Tony Blair at a event
  • Met Jaclyn Smith from "Charlie's Angels"
  • Welcomed Olympic gold medalist figure skater Dorothy Hamel
  • Escorted and rode an elevator with Donald Trump 

Mom Jeannie laughed as she told me Trump's hair was just as crazy in person. "It was long in the back and he flipped it all over his face and then back on top of his head, creating a 'folding hair do,' " she said. 

And the fun doesn't stop there. Mom Jeannie has had some wild adventures in her life:

• River rafting
  • Hot air ballooning
  • Soaring a plane and free-flying with no motor
  • Hiked the Grand Canyon in a week
  • Whale watching on a catamaran that almost tipped over

She even spontaneously decided to live in California before moving back to Tulsa to be with her kids after they started having kids of their own. She promised them it would only be 30 days, but understandably she stayed for 60 days instead.

Next time you are bored and want something to do in Stillwater, go to Kappa Delta and get to know their lovely House Mom. Mom Jeannie was full of stories and inspiration to live life to its fullest. The biggest thing that she wanted to leave with her girls was this: "Enjoy life and see what all you can do before you settle down."