Why You Shouldn't Join Alpha Xi Delta

Why You Shouldn't Join Alpha Xi Delta

4290
Why You Shouldn't Join Alpha Xi Delta

Just like Dita Von Teese said, "You can be the ripest, juiciest, peach in the world, but there will always be someone who hates peaches." And just like that, there will always be something that isn't for you. Just like sorority life is not for everyone. Just like Alpha Xi Delta isn't for everyone.

I never had even heard of Alpha Xi Delta when I went through recruitment almost three years ago, but I gave them a shot. Every time I entered the big yellow house I felt like I was at home and could have a genuine conversation with every woman in the room without being judged or scrutinized or anything like that, which was my biggest fear of recruitment. 

I was the only girl in my dorm going through recruitment, so I didn't have anyone to talk to about my stresses because no one in my family had ever been in Greek life either. I felt completely alone throughout the process; except, of course, when I entered Alpha Xi Delta each round. 

I wanted to be a part of something where I would have a million best friends and we would do literally everything together and never leave each other's sides. However, silly, naive, freshman me, realized soon that Alpha Xi Delta would not be all fun and games. It was only later that I realized it would change my life. 

Alpha Xi Delta is not just sleepovers, nights out and obnoxious laughter. We do much more than that. We grow in courage, graciousness and peace together. We make each other better individuals by working hard and reaching for our dreams. 

Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you want to remain the same person that you were in high school. Now don't get me wrong, I had a great high school experience, but I also knew that I could be a better person and that the sorority I chose would do that for me. In Alpha Xi Delta I have been pushed to realize my potential, but also help others realize theirs. 

Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you don't have a passion. I have learned so many things about so many different aspects of life and have found new passions because of it. There are so many amazing causes and things to try in life and Alpha Xi Delta is the place to do that. 

Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you don't want 100 sisters who would drop anything to be there for you. There have been times when I have been the sister in need and been the sister to help. Let me tell you, there is no better feeling than knowing you have 100 women who would be there for you at a moment's notice for anything you needed, because we value our sisterhood and each other THAT much. 

Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you don't value traditions. In 1893, our founders fought for the right to make our amazing fraternity and it is our job to hold true to these high ideals and standards in order to stay true to what we were founded upon. The more times I go through our ritual and initiation ceremony, the more I realize what it's truly all about.

Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you don't like helping people. I've never been more moved or humbled than when I attend one of our philanthropy events or do a service project that directly impacts Autism Speaks. It is a great feeling knowing that we, as Alpha Xi Delta's, have such a strong impact on that organization and that we can do a lot to help. 

Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you don't want to be a leader. So far I've held two executive board positions in my chapter and more often than not I am reminded by sisters that what I am doing is important and noticed. I take pride in knowing that I am helping our whole chapter reach its fullest potential. I love seeing our chapter grow stronger each and every year and I am fully confident that it will continue to grow as the years go on. 

Most importantly, Alpha Xi Delta is not for you if you are not looking for something you will be a part of for the rest of your life. I know that sounds scary. Like I said before, sorority life and Alpha Xi Delta are not for everyone. I was scared at first too. However, I knew the feeling I had each round of recruitment was not going to go away anytime soon and that my love for my chapter, and the national organization and all it stands for, would only grow.

I've found my best friends, my best self and the best memories and experiences through Alpha Xi Delta. Each and every member is so great and while we all might not be perfect, we are individually unique and together complete. We are there for each other with our gracious and kindly hearts, in both joy and sorrow. So, if you're looking for a group of girls that you'll be "friends" with for the next four years, look somewhere else, because you won't find that here. 

With that, these are the reasons that Alpha Xi Delta IS for me - I mislead you with the article title, didn't I? - among so many more. I love everything we stand for and every one of my sisters. I hope that everyone can find their home away from home like I have found in Alpha Xi Delta.