Animal Emotions and The Changes in Life

Animal Emotions and The Changes in Life

How Do Animals React?

19
Animal Emotions and The Changes in Life

Animals, like people, have their own peculiar way of communicate with each other, conquering through their emotions. Emotions are heterogeneous and show a flickering image of human and animal conducted behavior. Animals venture through emotions in their actions, funny facial expressions or strange sounds. Animals always find a way of expressing themselves. Emotions are ways to direct individual reaction to one’s situation and they are reflected through psychology. Each animal expresses its feelings differently, and each individual animal handles its emotions according to the way a species acts. An animal’s emotions are frequently difficult to predict.

Diverse animals will have miscellaneous reactions to different situations. Monkeys, when angry, open up their teeth and become aggressive. When animals are passive, they are attracted to each other and will cuddle. This can lead to animals reproducing which is a good thing to continue the species. Humans are one of the only animals who live together as a family. With animals like turtles, the male is usually the leader of the family and in some cases, the male tries to look belligerent to hide his emotions.

Anger can create conflict for any person; it causes fights or envy. In fights, miscommunication can strike. This causes a person to stop communicating with the other. Anger can bring on hatred and rage. This rage of emotions occurs because a section in the brain, called amygdala, tells a person to protect himself. This causes aggression and is found more in the males. However there is another section of the brain, the orbital section that minimizes conflicts in the brain. The hatred caused by this section of the brain can trigger people to commit terrible acts and obliterate relationships. Anger can also take a different approach. There are other outlets of expression like poetry and art. Conflicts in humans and animals can create angry feelings.

Animals have a way of supplementing a variety of emotions. Cats and dogs express jubilant emotions by either wagging their tails or dilating their tails straight up. Dogs also have away to express pleasure; dogs often appear vigorous or cuddly with their owners. Dogs also show melancholy by moaning. Cats show happiness by purring. The animals also demonstrate exhilaration. Some, like monkeys show happiness with a smile. “Dog laughter has been recorded as a sort of huffing sound that they make when they are playing or happy,” Dodman said in the Times (Dodman Times 1) Laughter, though, may not be a sign of happiness but rather a relief.

Avoidance is another way animals indicate that they are sad. Sometimes sadness turns into rage, other times it also depicts grief. “There’s no reason not to believe these birds were saying a Magpie farewell to their friend” (Elephant Emotions Animal Odd PBS). Sometimes animals, like people, suffer sadness and, according to The Guardian, monkeys may attempt suicide.

Animals’ ‘emotions are articulated in unpredictable ways. There is no certainty how an animal will react to different situations. Scientists have a plethora of information to study these emotions..“In fact, the study of animal emotions is a dynamic and rapidly developing field of science, and there’s no shortage of interest in animal emotions among scientists and average folks alike” (Elephant Emotions Animal Odd PBS.)…. Not even scientists can know when an impulsive reaction might occur. Emotions displayed by animals are impulsive and cannot be guessed. Scientists frequently makes inroads into the study of animals’ brains but it will take decades of research to fully understand how the brain works.” However there are philosophical theories on emotions that are being conducted to help advance a better grasp on the concept.

The philosophical way of thinking about emotions varies from theory to theory. The simplest hypothesis of emotions, and, perhaps, the theory most archetypal of common sense, is that emotions are simply a class of feelings, differentiated from sensation and proprioception’s by their experienced quality,” according to Standford Encyclopedia (Emotions Standford Encyclopedia 1). It really all depends on your personal experience. Everyone has a different perception depending on one’s correlative view on life. This sparks different waves of emotions. Correspondingly, each animal has its own experience of emotions.

Happiness in people is more likely to persist if the animal understands that the sadness is temporary, and that happiness will return. “So a pessimist tends to believe bad things are permanent, while an optimist will view the same problem as temporary, Martin Seligman, director of Positive Psychology Center of the University of Pennsylvania notes” (Tugend 1 The New York Times). when a person knows that this sadness is temporary, his or her life can be tolerated and is more likely to be optimistic. But to be an optimistic person or animal they must have positive experiences that lead to a happier point for them.

There are a few main emotions people can feel. Some of these primary emotions are hard to categorize. These primary emotions are anger, fear, sadness and happiness. “Researchers usually recognize two different types of emotions as primary and secondary emotions, according to Marc Bekoff, Ph.D. ” (Animal Odd PBS Elephant Emotions) Some secondary emotions are awe and apprehension. These emotions are sometimes hard to define and the definitions have gradually changed over time. Each person or even each animal experiences these emotions differently depending on past experiences.

Individuals handle trepidation that is a combination of fear and anxiety, differently. Some people keep it in, others hold it in for too long, and it results in an anxiety attack. An anxiety attack is when the heart starts beating fast and the person gets dizzy and fearful. “It is not unlikely that some form of anxiety exists in other vertebrate classes or lower organisms; even primitive ones have a capacity to detect danger and react to threat,” according to Thierry Steimer, Ph.D. (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov 1) Anxiety can be caused by many actions such as rejection.

Love is supposedly one of the most powerful emotions. Love is shown in various ways depending what species is expressing the emotions. “There is no greater love in elephant society than the maternal kind,” according to Echo: An Elephant to Remember Elephant Emotions. (PBS Elephant Emotions 1) Most animals express love with cuddling. Humans most often express love with kissing. Many animals reproduce as a result of love. Love is aroused by oxytocin. Love creates intense interactions.

Humans are the most complex creatures on this planet. Psychologists and neurologists investigate the complexity of human brains. Studies have shown that humans react to events through their emotions and actions. In many experiments, scientists have still not discovered all the reasons behind how people react. How emotional reasoning works is still complicated. Scientists are still trying to figure out how one person can go from being happy to being angry. However, scientists have discovered some stereotypical behaviors for anger. One reaction to human anger in males is to form a tough masculine posture, their faces turn red, and their voices deepen. When guys become angry, they might mimic animalistic behavior. (example: Lord of The Flies). When women display anger, they become moodier due to hormonal changes. The tone of voice changes according to the mood. Women tend to become more empathetic than men. Women feel a lot of emotions simultaneously. Some guys can also become moody as well. This is called irritable male syndrome. Men are easier to anger, perhaps this results from keeping emotions in check especially in men with average intelligence. Sometimes anger can turn into a different form such as apprehension.