10 Things I Wish My Mother Told Me Before Coming to College

14

Even though moms give us the best advice, there is always some she leaves out. These are important things to know before heading to college.

My mom is my absolute best friend, and I can confide in her with everything. Even though we are so close to each other, I know there was more advice for her to give me before I came to college. I asked around and came up with some solid do’s and don’ts of your college experience, and I know my mom, Deb, would have to agree.

1. DO NOT miss class. You may think missing one is no big deal. Trust me, when you miss one, there becomes a second and third time and then it becomes a habit. Plus, if there is a day where you have a 102 fever and really cannot get out of bed, you actually have a valid excuse to email your teacher. 

2. Clean often. Yes, my mom has always told me to keep my bedroom tidy at home and clean up the table after dinner, but when you only have one room to share with another person your freshmen year, you have to remember to clean your room more than once a week or else everything starts to pile up and soon you become a hoarder of things you don’t even need. 

3. Avoid Tequila at the bar. Sure, they are $1 shots and you think it’s a good idea to buy 20 for your whole group of friends. However, there is no provided chaser and the tiny splinter of lime they give you sure makes you regret taking them the next morning.

4. Make time to work out. Most college rec centers are so inviting and nice inside they should be a motivation to go to them. Plus, it’s a nice way to meet up with friends. Also, make a solid playlist. Grillz by Nelly is always a good start. 

5. Everything in moderation. My mom especially never eats junk food. On the rare occasion when I see her sneak one piece of pizza, I find her on the treadmill in the basement 10 minutes later. I wish she had told me that ordering late night McDonalds or a deep-dish pizza was perfectly ok, as long as it wasn’t every other night. 

6.  Have more movie nights. There are so many days where you will be swamped with papers and notecards, but make time for relaxation too. Stressing yourself out too much will only make your life worse.  Legally Blonde is a perfect option for a stressful night. 

7. It is ok to say no. When the bottle of Jack is almost gone and someone passes it to you, don’t feel obligated to take the last shot. Everyone has their limits and you want to be in control of your actions. Peer pressure is still a thing in college and I promise it does not get any easier from high school. It gets worse.

8. Everything happens for a reason. This saying is cliché, I know. But in college, that guy who was a jerk and broke your heart or the internship you were dying to get chose someone else? Remember that sometimes things don’t make sense. You may never find out why, but everything truly does happen for a reason, and there are better things waiting for you. 

9. Late night phone usage= bad idea. My favorite show One Tree Hill said that drunken words are sober thoughts… or something like that. Nothing good ever comes from texting an ex at 2 am when you have had way too much to drink at the bar. Put the phone away and you’ll forget you even had that god awful thought in the morning. 

10. DO follow your heart. Whether it is the right major, perfect sorority, or even the not so perfect guy, what your heart is telling you really does matter. You don’t get to re-do these four incredible years at college. Live your life how you have always dreamed of.