What I Wish I Knew As An Incoming Frosh At UIUC

114

Tipsand tricks on how to survive your freshman yearFreshman year would have gone a lot smoother if I knew all 25 tips

1. Campus bars are 19 years old for entry, 21 to drink. No one really knows why underage students are allowed in bars, but no one is complaining about this fantasy world we live in.
  2. A tour on campus is pointless. They tend to show prospective students the nicer dorms, tell you history about buildings you never need to know and show you places you will never revisit as an admitted student.
  3. Participating in Greek life doesn’t mean you have to go to every social event. You are a student and studies should come first.
  4. You don’t have to drink every time you go out. Chances are most people are already drunk and won’t be able to tell the difference between pop in a red solo cup or booze.
  5. Go to your professor’s office hours. Re-read that. Let it sink in and do it!
  6. Take a lot of pictures and videos. Chances are, you’ll want to look back and relive your college experience in a few years.
  7. Living in a dorm isn’t that awful. Yes, you live in a box and are limited on space and might not have AC, but it’s only for one year and you’ll meet some great people.
  8. You don’t always meet your bffs on move-in day. You will meet so many people your first month in college and you won’t know if they are your best friends right away. Most importantly, your roommate doesn’t have to be your best friend.
  9. Happy hour is a real thing and so is block. UIUC likes day drinking. Enough said.
  10. There are other places to study besides the UGL. Espresso Royale, the Armory, ACES Library and the Main Library are all quiet places that are open late.
  11. The UGL is open 24/7.
  12. The freshman 15 is real, very real. Dorm food, drunk food and booze will all catch up to you by the end of the year.
  13. If you are very active, find a workout buddy. The likelihood of going to the gym are a lot higher if you have someone alongside you for motivation.
  14. Work for every point you are given in a course. Don’t be that student who misses homework and then is only two points away from an A minus. You’ll regret it later and kick yourself in the butt.
  15. Designate a certain pair of flip-flops as shower shoes.
  16. Don’t procrastinate. No one likes all-nighters and cramming.
  17. Sorority meals are better than your average meal in college. If you want some brownie points from your best guy friend, bring him to a Taco Tuesday.
  18. Don’t go home every weekend. You will miss out on inside jokes with friends and won’t be as independent the rest of your four years.
  19. Don’t bring all your clothes. Your room is probably small just like your closet and you’ll have a roommate to share clothes with.
  20. Don’t miss Mom’s and Dad’s Weekends. If they don’t want to go out and drink, there are always more options.
  21. Don’t buy your books on the first day. You might not even need them, so why spend money!?
  22. Become friends with your RA, otherwise she won’t have your back when you need it.
  23. Keep your door open the first couple weeks and don’t be shy to introduce yourself.
  24. Make friends in class. Most students will be open to sharing notes and group studies. And if they are in your major, chances are you will have more classes with them.
  25. Take on leadership positions in an organization. It’s great for resume building and can teach you lifelong lessons.