Why Your Freshman Roomie Will Always Be the Real MVP
popular

If you were one of the lucky ones, you met your best friend on freshman move in day.

4057

Going into college, whether your roommate was random or if you chose them over Facebook after chatting for a few days, you remember move-in day feeling like one of two things: anxious and excited. You know at the end of the day, your parents were going to drive away, and you were going to be alone with this other human in a small room living 4 feet away from each other.

Freshman year is the most exciting time of your college career. Not only because it's your first year of the best four of your life, but also because you learn so much about yourself during this year. You're exploring new things, meeting new people, and going to new places. You're doing all of these and many more, but you're doing them with your roommate, especially if you and your roommate are both out-of-staters. You naturally cling to your roommate and befriend each other because, why wouldn't you want to be friends with the person living in the same room as you? If you're one of the lucky ones, you and your roommate became instant friends, if not, you probably endured some solid fights and awkward mornings. This first friendship can set the tone for the rest of your college career.

In my case, this was true, and I met my best friend on move-in day. Not only did we end up instantly bonding, but also ended up being sisters after recruitment. Your freshman roommate is the person who was going to go through all the trials and tribulations of college life with you. Whether it's that first break up from your high school sweetheart, your first encounter with a frat guy, or your first real college heartbreak, most of you went through these and many other things with your roommate by your side.

If you still maintain that friendship here are a few things you should thank them for:

1. Not keeping the same judgment of you after stalking your Facebook for the first time.

Let's be honest, your Facebook probably had some weird photos or pictures with friends only you and THOSE friends would understand. Your roommate probably stalked you and had a few judgments about your character before you guys met … you know you did it too. But look at y'all now! After just a few days, you were both attached at the hip, and you know you're extremely happy she didn't judge you for all the weird albums you had in high school.

2. Helping you with your first “kill me, I'm never drinking again" morning.

You know you remember those terrible, terrible mornings after your first couple of nights out. Whether y'all endured the hangover together or if she took care of you, you cannot thank your roommate enough for bringing over the trashcan and dealing with your constant hungover moaning and complaining. Attempting to hold yourself up and eat dining hall food the day after without dying will always be a great memory.

3. Taking care of your blackout self.

The classic, “Wait, how did I get home last night?" line. Another instance when your roommate came in clutch — helping your incoherent butt get back to the dorm. That's true friendship right there — not going back to the dorm without ya. The amount of times y'all probably got ready together and came home together was countless. In addition to that, the amount of times you said a shameful “thank you" the morning after was also probably countless.

4. The first time you used your fake DT and it worked.

You remember that feeling of trying not to look the bouncer in the eye as he checked your terrible fake. You also remember trying not to jump up and down while he put that wristband on you. That first night you got in, you and your roomie probably spent a reckless amount of money because … well, you could! That was definitely a great night for you both, whether or not you remember it.

5. Awkwardly walking into your first fraternity party knowing absolutely no one.

Before recruitment, you obviously knew no one, nor did you know what a fraternity party entailed … but don't fret! You had your freshie roomie by your side the whole night as you met each frat star one by one and people watched all night long. At least you had someone to take the first sip of that heinous PJ with, which you know you got a second (maybe third) cup of.

“You think they put stuff in here?" ... “idk dude — free alc, whatever"

6. Helping you out with your first real college heartbreak.

This could be the fact that you realized you were 1 of 10 girls your frat lover talked to at the time, or when you and your high school boyfriend, whom you thought you were going to marry — broke up. You know you can relate to either or. If you were the latter and broke up with your boyfriend, thank goodness you had your girl there to bring you shots and help the newly-single you gain confidence all over again. If it was the other instance, you had your girl there to talk mad sh*t on that guy with you. You both scoff at his presence and probably still hate him.

7. Living that “ramen all day every day" lifestyle with you.

OK, no one had solid healthy meals freshman year. It's quite impossible unless your parents were loaded. The amount of times you and your roommate made ramen late night in your room or ate feasts at the dining hall together is insane. You start forgetting what a real meal was like, and Subway sandwiches and ramen became pure staples for you both. At least y'all gained the freshmen 15 together, ya know?

8. Your first drinking ticket.

For some of you lucky ones (like myself, WOO!) you made it to your 21st without any encounter with the cops. However, it's more than likely one of you got that drinking ticket. Of course, you were terrified and wrapped up with anxiety because you didn't think this could happen to you. You probably had a panic attack after you got it. “Wait is this super serious? Will my mom kill me?" Yeah, probably. “Should I try to take care of it on my own?" Wait, I'm poor and need a lawyer. “How can I get out of this? Am I completely screwed? Why is 21 so far away?" Your roommate either got one with you or helped calm your anxiety-ridden self down during that one.

9. Your first encounter of running from the cops.

We've all been to that party where the music stops, lights go on, and you see blue lights outside. FRANTIC EVERYWHERE. All you know is you and roommate need to book it FAST. After jumping over bushes and running for your dear life while praying to God you don't get caught, you finally meet back up with your roommate. You know this happened to you, don't even lie. Y'all probably did some celebratory shots DT with your terrible fakes. LOL @ freshman year.

In all, freshman year is a time when you find yourself and you grow apart from your high school identity. You both acted weird together, made tons of memories, took billions of selfies and really grew up alongside each other. Your roommate was truly your ride-or-die through it all.

So, thanks girl, you're the real MVP. I APPRECIATE YOU.