Ted Cruz Wins Iowa Caucus; Democrats Remain Split

After a shocking victory for Texas Senator Ted Cruz, other candidates attempt to stop the new frontrunners momentum.

5
Charlie Neibergall

After watching the results of the February 1 Iowa caucus flow onto big screens all throughout the nation, many are closing the day either shocked, disappointed or thrilled. The Ted Cruz and Hilary Clinton campaigns celebrate a victory in the difficult battleground of Iowa, while other camps begin to voice their frustration over the shocking results.

In Milford, New Hampshire, longtime Republican front-runner, Donald Trump, shares his thoughts about the results, competition and moving forward. Trump stated, "I can think of worse things that could have happened in Iowa. I got second place, second place! If you ask me, that is still worthy of a celebration." Trump relatively minimized his opinions in terms of his 4 percent defeat to Texas Senator Ted Cruz, but did have remarks for third place finisher Marco Rubio. Trump admitted, "I love Marco, he is a great guy. He did a great job earning 23 percent of the vote in Iowa. I really like the guy." Trump then continued to address concerns that Rubio would indeed catch and eventually surpass Trump in the race for the presidency, "Marco lost to me by 2,000 votes, that is a large amount of votes by the way. While he is doing a wonderful job, I am not concerned at all that Marco can beat me, especially in New Hampshire." Moving forward, Trump remained optimistic about his hopes for New Hampshire, stating, "I would love to come in first in New Hampshire, it is a great state with many lovely people. I have worked closely with the people of New Hampshire for many years, and cannot see myself coming in any place lower than second." Donald Trump was not the only republican candidate who had words to say regarding the results of the Iowa Caucus.

Neurosurgeon and Republican Candidate Ben Carson placed fourth in the tightly contested contest, earning 9 percent of the total votes in Iowa. Carson wasted little time pointing the finger at the Cruz campaign, accusing Cruz of playing a game of "dirty politics." Rumors began to circulate that Senator Ted Cruz was "leaking" information that candidate Ben Carson was going to drop out due to a sharp decline in campaign success. This was a clear misunderstanding as a salon.com article by Sophia Tesfaye indicates. Carson was mentioned to return to his home to retrieve fresh clothes and rest. The Cruz campaign turned this information around; suggesting it was a sign that Carson was calling it quits. Carson swears this dirty method of campaigning cost him a potential increase in standing during the caucus. After receiving additional outcry from candidate Donald Trump as well, Ted Cruz apologized for the "media confusion" that negatively affected the outcome of the Carson campaign in Iowa. The results of the Democratic race gave little insight as to who will earn the Democratic nod.

Democrat Hilary Clinton narrowly edged out longtime Vermont Senator, Bernie Sanders, in the race in Iowa. Those who 'feel the Bern' as Senator Sanders lost to Clinton by 0.3 percent of the vote, felt great agony. While the results may be aggravating, many remain optimistic as Sanders still received 21 delegates, whereas Clinton earned 23. The deficit is seen as easy to overcome, denying any thoughts that the recent caucus is a strong indication of a Clinton nomination. Martin O'Malley received only 0.6% of the Democratic votes in Iowa, putting the nail in the coffin of the O'Malley campaign. As the Republican and Democratic races continue, it remains anyone’s guess as to who will get the nod on each side of the aisle.

Moving forward, how will the events in New Hampshire play out? Tuesday, February 9 is the date of the New Hampshire primary. Candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz both remain optimistic, claiming their momentum and their charm will lead them to another strong finish. Trump is no stranger to New Hampshire, the geographical location is nearby to Trumps empire in New York City, and the newly deemed politician has started his political ambitions in the state nearly 30 years ago. According to Michael Kruse of Politico.com, Trump and local Republican supporter Mike Dunbar hosted a rally in the state on October 22, 1987, in hopes of seeing how many would react to Trumps political ambitions. Negative information about Cruz continues to circulate, as his radical and evangelical messages continue to reach voters. A campaign scandal accompanied with naturally radical and staunchly conservative views spells disaster for Ted Cruz in the usually liberal state of New Hampshire. On the Republican side of the aisle, Trump and Rubio will continue to surge, while Cruz begins to feel the effects of the actions performed by his campaign. Caron will also receive love from the New England state, where other lower ranking candidates such as Kasich and Fiorina receive another crucial blow to their presidential hopes. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will receive a boost in interest simply because of the geographical closeness to his home state. Alas, this resurgence for Christie will evidently be in vein due to the Governors lack of delegates, placing him with a great handicap.

Senator Bernie Sanders will defeat Hilary Clinton in New Hampshire for the same reason discussed with candidate Chris Christie. The Sanders camp calls Vermont its home, so New Hampshire will naturally lean towards the socialist candidate. Clinton will be overwhelmed by the amount of support that the Sanders campaign will receive, leaving the primary with fewer delegates than that of Bernie Sanders. The absence of Martin O'Malley, while generally unnoticed, may cause for an increase in support for Hilary Clinton, as she (similarly to O'Malley) is a more conservative democrat than the far left Sanders.

With a colossal amount of primaries remaining however, New Hampshire will also leave voters with little indication as to who will be the nominee for each party. The impact of media will certainly be noticed in the results of Tuesday’s upcoming primary. Geography again will prove to aide those candidates that call the northeastern states their home. We can all sit here and make predictions as to the results of this New Hampshire primary, but nobody can know with certainty how this New England state will shape this continuously evolving contest.