Sorority Life: A Recruitment Guide

Sorority Life: A Recruitment Guide

Everything you need to know about recruitment.

106
Sorority Life: A Recruitment Guide

It’s that time of year again. The sun is out, the freshmen and their parents are occupying the aisles of Target and the sorority girls are decked out in their newest and cutest editions of oversized T -shirts. While most students are out at the pool cramming in their last ditch efforts for a first day of school tan, the sororities are walled up inside their brick mansions with two hundred of their sisters. While having a personal chef cook their food and a house dog to play with, all while bonding and catching up with their closest friends may seem like the best college could offer, spirit week is not for the feint of heart and here is why:

1.Marching is an art form- People have joked that recruitment practice is a girl version of boot camp. In reality this is true. During spirit week one will learn that filing hundreds of girls into one cohesive line and instructing them to step in sync is much more difficult than it sounds.

2.Whistles and stopwatches are not just for sports- When a chapter room is crammed to the walls with social girls talking; it is no wonder that recruitment directors whip out their whistles. Whistles are the key to saving one’s voice. Likewise, it is not uncommon to see a director with a stopwatch hanging around her neck to time exits and entrances in order to avoid fines for excessive recruiting. 

3.Workout attire is a must- It has been said that recruitment is a sorority girl’s cardio. This is a valid statement. In order to have a successful recruitment a chapter must practice their routines several times a day. Most routines involve some form of jumping combined with excessive limb movement, which results in sore body parts that one didn’t even know existed. For this reason, sorority girls have all seemed to come to the conclusion that neon Nike shoes and shorts are a necessity in order to properly carry out a dance routine. 

4. Being called “obnoxiously loud” is a compliment- Ask any sorority girl and you will discover that being loud is the key to a productive day of practice. Most chapters will have their recruitment directors take a stroll a couple blocks away and listen while their chapter attempts to yell until they have no voice. In the world of sorority life, the label of “loud” is one of the best possible compliments. 

5.Stalking is a must- Prior to the arrival of PNM’s(Potential New Members), majority of sororities will spend hours going through Facebook profiles and slideshows of hopeful future sorority members. The result of excessively stalking these bright-eyed faces and extensive resumes is to be able to match up current members with incoming freshman in order to have the best possible conversations. Stalking, although creepy and unnatural, is a common recruiting strategy that ensures girls who will match up best with the sorority’s personality. 

All in all, if you are unfamiliar with the Greek system, or are considering joining a sorority, remember that it’s not all good looks and social gatherings. Recruitment practice, often known as workweek, is boot camp. There will be physical pain, lots of sweat, definitely some tears and way too many hormones. But after all your hard labor you will be able to look back on the week and realize you have just become close friends with a group of girls who you are proud to call your sisters. In addition, you have ensured the best possible incoming pledge class who respect the same values that your sorority was founded on. Sorority life is not for everyone, but for some it’s the social foundation that jumpstarts the best four years of their life.