My Different Daddy Issues

My Different Daddy Issues

Daddy issues. A stigma attached to “un-datable girls” who haven’t had a positive male figure growing up. But what happens to those of us blessed with a fantasy father?

92
My Different Daddy Issues

It's a stereotype expressed through clingy girlfriends, trust issues, attention cravers and fear of commitment. These women struggle with relationships in fear of falling victim to their father’s past mistakes.

It’s a stereotype I would have never found myself apart of. But here I am. Coming from a stable, loving home I never thought I would have daddy issues.

My father never raised an arm at my sister or me. Never did I fear he would lose his temper. Never did I lay awake wondering when he would be home. He punished us respectably, loved us whole-heartedly. He never spoke down to my mother. He supports us in ever decision we make. He was and continues to be the perfect father.      

As you’d assume, my relationship with my father has changed over the years. I no longer sit on his lap and tell him about the new princess dresses I found shopping with mom. Instead, I sit across from him at work doing deposits as we swap stories about our day. He no longer drives me to school each morning, but he flies me home whenever I long for the Northwest. He doesn’t tuck me in at the end of day, but he does send me a goodnight text wherever I am. Each night, without fail. He no longer reminds me to wear my helmet as I bike down the street, but changes the oil in my car before I head cross-country. He no longer takes me to my doctor appointments when I feel sick, but he travels 1,000 miles when I have a broken heart. He does things I would never think of. Selfless acts on the daily for my mother, sisters and I. Never have I questioned my importance to him. His family is his number one priority at all times. As it should be, but commonly isn’t in today’s society.   

As children, whatever surrounds us forms what we see as “normal”. You assume that the world you’re living in is just like everybody else’s. The way my father treated my mother I believed was just like every relationship. They truly love each other and I witnessed it on the daily. My dad’s first big surprise being a baby grand piano for her birthday. We walked into the house after a week away in Disneyland, and there it was. Something my mother always wanted but never asked for. For their anniversary it’s a trip to Europe. For Valentine’s, a little Lexus. For her birthday, a surprise party with 150 of her closest friends. He always went above and beyond for her. The flowers were my favorite. Flowers for no reason other than to make her smile.  He showed his love in many ways but I think surprising her has always been his favorite.   

My first holiday away from home, I was the recipient of the flowers. Although I was home the weekend before, it crushed my dad I was missing the holiday with the family.  Without fail, he amazed me when a hundred tulips were delivered to my front porch come Sunday morning. A hundred. I had to round up vases from friends.   

Just this past week, he did it again. When he heard my class was canceled on Thursday, he booked me a flight home for a quick thirty-six hour trip so I could attend a concert with my sisters.   

That’s who he is. That’s what he does. He’s the fantasy father. He bends over backwards for his girls and has taught us that it is possible to find someone who will treat you like a princess for the rest of your life. That’s where my “daddy issues” come into play. It’s going to take one hell of a man to live up to the standards my father has set. I have yet to meet a man who can even compare. If I remain single for the next five years, thats completely okay. I have witnessed and experienced such an unconditional love and would never be able to live with anything less.