Why Going Out Actually Sucks

Why Going Out Actually Sucks

Let's face the facts.

1866
Why Going Out Actually Sucks

This past Friday, I went to happy hour for the first time since summer, and let me tell you something -- it was awful. The line wrapped around the entire building, and the club was so packed you couldn't even stretch your arms out far enough to give someone a hug. By the time I finally made it to the bar, I was sweaty, annoyed, and not even in the mood for a drink. 

I became so claustrophobic that I just gave up on the whole evening and got Chipotle with my littles instead. Major power moves right there. Pro tip: if you go to Chipotle during happy hour, there will be no line. 

And then I had a revelation. Going out really, really sucks. I know, I know. Being newly 21, I should want to go out all the time. And I do like to go to the bars when it's worth it. But for the most part, it is usually better to trade your pub clothes for pajamas and just stay the hell home. So, without further ado, I present to you the top six reasons why going out is not as great as you think it is. 

1. You have to get ready. 

If you are a girl, this is the most time consuming part of your night. In addition to showering, you have to do your hair which, if yours is super uncooperative like mine, usually involves the use of multiple heat tools. Which makes you sweat. Which makes your hair frizzy. See where I'm going with this? Also, for those of you who were graced with flowing hair and never had to buy yours, extensions are the worst. You also have to pick out the perfect outfit, make sure your makeup is recruitment-ready (contouring and all), and find shoes that won't make you want to tear your feet off ten minutes into the night. 

2. You are most likely going to see the same people you see every single night. “How are you?” “Good, you?” “Good.” This gets boring really fast. Trust me. 

3. If you do meet someone new, or see someone you haven't seen in a while, it will be nearly impossible to have a conversation. The music is blaring. The drinks are pouring. People are falling all over the place. This probably is not the best venue to catch up with a long lost friend, or introduce yourself to a new one. Stop the screaming, and go to a restaurant or something. 

4. It is crowded. This one was worth mentioning again. I cannot tell you how many times I have had a drink spilled on me because there is not enough room in this tiny bar for all of these humans and their sloshy concoctions. Also, contrary to popular belief, “red cups and sweaty bodies everywhere,” actually makes for a horrible situation. Joke's on you, Miley. 

5. FOMO is not a real thing. 

In case you haven't noticed, the bar scene does not really change from night to night. What do you fear you will miss out on? Drinking bottom-shelf liquor? Seeing your ex with another girl? Taking a good picture? I guarantee you, that picture of your four best friends laughing was probably the highlight of their night. Spoiler alert: they left 30 minutes later to get Wawa. 

6. There are other things to do. 

Did we come to college and completely forget all of our other interests? Go see a movie! I heard those things still exist where you sit in comfy chairs and watch a nice story unfold on a big screen in front of your own two eyes. Go to the mall with friends, have people over, or visit a place you have never been -- exploring is always fun. Worst case scenario, go to a nice restaurant. You will have a lot of money to blow once you stop spending $5 every night on cover.