Dear Future Daughter: 15 Prayers for You

73

Dear Daughter,

Congratulations to you; out of the 4.1 billion moms in this world you are the lucky one who gets the honor of calling me your Mommy. Let's get one thing straight, I will be a cool mom. However, there's a good chance that since I'm your mother I will also embarrass you.

I will try to teach you about the good ole days when YOLO was a thing, #swag was a way of life, and people tried to put feathers in their hair. You will probably make fun of me for all the hashtags I used on photos, and when I made a poof out of my bangs to look like that lady named Snookie in seventh grade. I will probably tell you I was really cool and hip when I was your age when I was actually a dork, who even in college still doesn't know how to interact with the opposite gender.

When you are young, I will probably try to dress you up like the American Girl dolls I had in third grade, and when you get your first social media account I will stalk it, not just to make sure you are being smart, but also to laugh at the stupid posts you will make. If you are lucky, I will let you make fun of the weird selfies I posted with five filters from my freshman year of high school.

On a serious note, though, I hope you know I have prayed for you for many years, including now when I don't even know if I will even have a girl. Even though I am kind of out there and crazy I hope you know as your mother I care about you and have prayed for you since high school.

1.I pray... when you first doubt whether you are pretty enough, skinny enough, or good enough, you remember you will never be enough for this world. However, God made you in His image and because of that, you are beautiful and should love how He created you every day.

2. I pray... that you never feel like you need a pushup bra to impress a boy.

3.I pray... for the first time a guy asks you to go farther than you want to or farther than you are comfortable with and that you don't let him persuade you into it. Any guy who doesn't respect your body and desire to wait doesn't deserve you.

4. I pray... for the first time a boy breaks your heart that you know I have been there too and you are not stupid for believing the lies he told you. He is stupid for leaving an amazing girl like you.

5.I pray... whatever name I give you has a cute monogram and cute ring to it.

6. I pray... you never become dependent on alcohol for good dance moves and confidence. I also pray you know you can call me if you ever need a ride.

7. I pray... you feel beautiful without your makeup, and you learn that you are most beautiful when you serve others. Also, when it comes to makeup, I pray you remember less is always more -- chill with the eyeliner.

8.I pray... when you doubt whether God exists you give your faith a fighting chance and remember that struggling with your faith proves that you care about it enough.

9. I pray... you are not like me and keep your emotions bottled up too much. I pray you come to me whenever you feel down and upset or whenever you just want to vent.

10. I pray... for the times you think being popular is more important than surrounding yourself with people who genuinely care about you and want to invest their time and love in you. I pray for your friends and that they push you to be a better person and you never feel like you are competing with them.

11. I pray... if likes are still a thing on social media, that you never ever delete a picture you like because it didn't get enough likes. Likes mean nothing.

12.I pray... you don't judge girls and you are never the mean girl; and if you are ever mean you apologize. Words do hurt people, always remember that. If someone makes a mistake, never judge them for it because you will make mistakes to.

13.I pray... that even when it seems like a stupid way to get back at someone, you remember killing people with kindness is the best revenge and shows how good of a person you are. When people are mean to you, it is not worth the trouble and time to be mean back.

14. I pray... whenever you make mistakes that I don't judge you and remember I made mistakes growing up. I pray you also know that if I don't tell you about my mistakes it is just cause I want you to not make them.

15. I pray... I am at least half the mom mine is.

And Lord help me if you are anything like me. Amen.

(Heidi Bowers Photography used in picture) http://heidibowers.com.